Need to copy specific string of text from column into another cell

ianklarson

First, I want to thank everyone that contributes to these forums. I work extensively with Excel and often have to find creative solutions for culling large data sets, and up until now, I've always found answers to my questions without writing a post of my own. That said...I'm stuck. I have a document with well over ten thousand rows that contains information from support desk tickets. One column contains the free-text notes from analysts, and within these notes there is often a PC asset name. The names will predictably start with "sfhwxp" followed by 4 or 5 additional characters. The problem i have is that this is from a free-text notes field, and so the position of this character string is unpredictable. I'm looking for a what to find this string, copy it and paste it in an adjacent cell. I'm including an example below.

In my document, cell BH2 contains the following text:
"
11/1/2015 11:59:11 PM Email log in issues 11/1/2015 11:59:11 PM SFHWXPER07 - can't remote user's computer mail.xxxx.com/owa - confirmed username: XXXXXXX reset password - unsuccesful Logged out and back in to computer without issue 11/2/2015 8:05:26 AM John Smith Has responded to the event 11/2/2015 11:37:59 AM r/a to help user logon to webmail. 11/2/2015 12:13:24 PM Sam Smith Has responded to the event 11/2/2015 1:31:05 PM User will be in next Wednesday at 3pm........11/11/2015 3:53:29 PM Showed user how to login email...Closing ticket....11/19/2015 4:02:29 AM AR_ESCALATOR This event has been auto-closed by the system"

<tbody>
</tbody>

From this, the only piece that I care about is the "SFHWXPER07". I would like a formula that would find that string of characters and copy it into another column. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
So if the value "SFHWXPER07" is found in Column "BH" put the value "SFHWXPER07" in column "BI" same row.
Is that what you want?

I can write you a Vba script to do that if you want.

Upvote 0
Paste this formula in BI2 =MID(BH2,FIND("SFHWXP",BH2),11)

This works, but is case sensitive. Can we make it so that is not the case, or right this with a variation of OR that includes the same in lowercase?

Thank you for the help!

Upvote 0
This will address the lower case as well.. =IF(ISTEXT(MID(BH2,FIND("SFHWXP",BH2),11)),MID(BH2,FIND("SFHWXP",BH2),11),MID(BH2,FIND("sfhwxp",BH2),11))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hherna01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back