Need to Count Text Entries Across Multiple Sheet That Correspond With Criteria in the Same Row

grnaskd

Hello,

This is Military Spreadsheet that involves troop movement so I have to be very vague but I'll try not to be confusing.

Here's a problem I'm having. I need to count how many times text (any text/numbers/combination of the two) appear in a column across multiple sheets.

Here's the details of the sheets. Think of it as a hotel with multiple buildings with each building being on a separate sheet. Each Room has three beds which will be on three different rows. There are 76 rooms total so 228 rows of beds/rooms.

In Column (I) I have the Units
In Column (G) I have the Ranks (E1,O1,W1,CIV, etc)

I need to count how many times an entry is made in Column G, but only the entries for the Units (Column I) that I specify.

Here's what I have but it's returning only zero:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIFS(INDIRECT("'"&H2:H50&"'!G3:G338"),INDIRECT("'"&H2:H50&"'!I3:I338"),"*"&A21&"*"))

Let me know if any more information or clarification is needed, I hope someone can please help.

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
If I3:I338 is not either solely text-based or solely numeric, the calculations will go wrong:

Solely text-based:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIFS(INDIRECT("'"&H2:H50&"'!G3:G338"),INDIRECT("'"&H2:H50&"'!I3:I338"),"*"&A21&"*"))

Solely numeric:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIFS(INDIRECT("'"&H2:H50&"'!G3:G338"),INDIRECT("'"&H2:H50&"'!I3:I338"),A21))

If both, i.e., mixed:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIFS(INDIRECT("'"&H2:H50&"'!G3:G338"),INDIRECT("'"&H2:H50&"'!I3:I338"),"*"&A21&"*")+
SUMIFS(INDIRECT("'"&H2:H50&"'!G3:G338"),INDIRECT("'"&H2:H50&"'!I3:I338"),A21))

Upvote 0
Is there a way to count empty spaces for specific criteria? For example how many beds are not occupied under certain units?

Upvote 0
Counting the records in G3:G338 that are empty or blank. This is the column that ranks are imputed and if I can count how many bed spaces aren't being occupied, I can use:

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&$I$2:$I$50&"'!I3:I338"),"*"&A22&"*"))

To subtract how many bed spaces are allotted for a unit from the bed spaces they aren't using to get how many are in use.

Upvote 0
Counting the records in G3:G338 that are empty or blank. This is the column that ranks are imputed and if I can count how many bed spaces aren't being occupied, I can use:

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&$I$2:$I$50&"'!I3:I338"),"*"&A22&"*"))

To subtract how many bed spaces are allotted for a unit from the bed spaces they aren't using to get how many are in use.

I don't see beds... We must talk in terms of ranges and cells which house the criteria the ranges must meet.

$I$2:$I$50 houses sheet names.

Now spell the ranges one by one along with the criterion each must meet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back