Need to design a car expenses spreadsheet... I have no idea where to start?

Sloane87

Hello all,

Well, I've spent the last three days learning how to use Excel for my job after being afraid of it and have concluded it's a neat tool once you know how to use it and I'm in debt to this forum and the nice people who post straight-forward tutorials on YouTube. As part of this training I've had to complete a set of exercises and I've managed them all so far bar one which is just impossible to get my head around yet should be SO simple... and I'm hoping that's how someone here sees it and can help me.

The exercise:

Design a spreadsheet to keep track of annual expenses for the company motor vehicle. Some of the labels you might find useful could be: main heading, date, mileage, petrol, maintenance, registration, insurance, subtotals, averages and main totals. Show the formulas you would use. Numeric data is not required.

So basically, all that I understand is it's supposed to be a simple template ... and the rest may as well be in a different language to me. I know how to use formulas but I have no idea what the whole thing is supposed to look like and I'm frustrated. I'd be very grateful if someone could give me an idea how to set it out, just anything at all to help me get started. Thank you!

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Off the bat I would use a Date, Mileage, and event fields, The event would be from a drop down list

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
1RegistrationHR 43 STE*****
2DateMileageEvent0:00Running total*Event List
3**Service***Petrol
4****E3+D4*Insurance
5****E4+D5*Service
Sheet1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back