Need to identify zip codes that fall within Metropolitan areas and return the specific area

Chudster1

Hi all. I am really sorry that my first post is a ridiculous question like this, but I've exhausted my knowledge (and interest of those I know who know more than I do...lol) of Excel at this point and am in dire need of assistance.

The basic need that I have is to identify entries (people) by zip code as to whether they are in specific metropolitan areas, and have Excel return which area they are in (e.g. NY-NY Metro, Los Angeles Metro, etc...). I have a little over 3000 people entries and the top 100 metro areas (several thousand zip codes) that I need to analyze people by.

All of the metro Zip codes are on a separate sheet where the first column of each metro area are the zip codes themselves, and the second column has the name of that metro area. The other sheet has the lookup value (Zip Code) and the target cell for excel to return which metro area the person is in.

I could sort by state and just plug in individual nested formulas for each metro area within that state, but some metro areas cross state lines (sometimes several) so that would not always work. Is there a function that tells excel that my data is in paired columns, and to return column 2 of a specific pair if it hits a match in column 1?

To return just one specific Metro area I was using this: =VLOOKUP(A2,'Metro Zip Codes'!$A$2:$B$5,2,FALSE)

I would like to be able to have excel do that, but with 100 different metro areas returning to the same column.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back