Need to increment columns in a formula while dragging down...not across

haganator

Greetings all,

Is it possible to have a formula, that references a table in another worksheet, increment the column by dragging down? The formula is =MIN(SFLD_Stats!B$3:B$26), and I need to drag it down multiple cells so that it increments to =MIN(SFLD_Stats!C$3:C$26), and so forth. The row range is always 3:26, the column is the only thing that changes. I know that if I drag a formula down, the rows will update and if I drag across, the columns will update, but I need the opposite. I saw a way to use INDEX to do a swap like this for data points, but I don't know how to use it with a formula.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
I can think of 3 ways to do it. None is what I would call elegant.

1) drag copy the formula horizontally, select the cells, copy, pastespecial transpose, clear the horizontal cells.
2) try a formula like =MIN(INDIRECT("Sheet1!" & ADDRESS(2,CELL("row",B3)-1) & ":" & ADDRESS(26,CELL("row",B3)-1)))
the formula assumes B3 is the cell the formula is in. So when you copy it down it becomes C3, D3, ...
3) write a macro to insert each formula

I hope somebody comes up with something better.

Upvote 0
Hi

Try :-
Code:
=MIN(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(3,ROWS($1:2),2,,"SFLD_Stats")&":"&ADDRESS(26,ROWS($1:2),2)&""))

and drag down

hth

Upvote 0
Par60056,

My apologies for not replying sooner...#2 worked. Thank you so much. I was debating on whether or not to swap rows and columns in my data tables, but that would've required a macro too. LOL. Kind of painted myself in a corner on this one.

Thanks again,

Jeff

I can think of 3 ways to do it. None is what I would call elegant.

1) drag copy the formula horizontally, select the cells, copy, pastespecial transpose, clear the horizontal cells.
2) try a formula like =MIN(INDIRECT("Sheet1!" & ADDRESS(2,CELL("row",B3)-1) & ":" & ADDRESS(26,CELL("row",B3)-1)))
the formula assumes B3 is the cell the formula is in. So when you copy it down it becomes C3, D3, ...
3) write a macro to insert each formula

I hope somebody comes up with something better.

Upvote 0
ukmikeb,

Your solution is similar to #2 from the previous post. Yours worked like a champ...it took me a while to figure out how to step through it and be able to follow where I was in my table, but now it's a snap.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Hi

Try :-
Code:
=MIN(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(3,ROWS($1:2),2,,"SFLD_Stats")&":"&ADDRESS(26,ROWS($1:2),2)&""))

and drag down

hth

Upvote 0
Glad you have a solution, but just wanted to add some value..

I was debating on whether or not to swap rows and columns in my data tables, but that would've required a macro too.
It's actually very easy to do that (without a macro)

Highlight and copy the entire range
Now go to an available area and Right Click - Paste Special - Transpose.

Upvote 0
Jonmo1, This works really well. I'll have to play around with this to get used to it. Thanks for the info. Jeff
Glad you have a solution, but just wanted to add some value.. It's actually very easy to do that (without a macro) Highlight and copy the entire range Now go to an available area and Right Click - Paste Special - Transpose.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back