Need to pull data from the middle of the string

smalik

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there is a simple formula that would let me pull a three letter or a four letter code from the middle of the string?

Column A shows the data dump from the system
Column B is my attempt to pull the code in a multi step process. (very inefficient way to do it.... I am sure there is a better way)
Column C is what I need (I manually typed the results for the purpose of this post)

The word "Policy" will always be the beginning of the string followed by a blank space, then "-", then blank space, then a code
Code can only be either 3 letters or 4 letters
Result column will show a blank cell if the string does not begin with the word "Policy" like in row 3 or 12-16

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1604328845884.png

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Try this for row 1 and copy down:
Excel Formula:
=IF(LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-",""))>1,TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1," - ",REPT(" ",100)),100,100)),"")

Upvote 0
Excel Formula:
=IF(LEFT(A1,6)="Policy",MID(A1,FIND("-",A1)+1,FIND("-",A1,FIND("-",A1)+1)-FIND("-",A1)-1),"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try this for row 1 and copy down:
Excel Formula:
=IF(LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-",""))>1,TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1," - ",REPT(" ",100)),100,100)),"")

Thank you.... I understand the first part but what is the last part doing? "REPT(....." i.e., what is the significance of 100? and REPT?

Upvote 0
Basically, it is replacing all incidences of " - " (space, dash, space) with 100 spaces. So then you are putting 100 blank spaces between the section before and after the part you want to extract (REPT is the REPEAT function, saying to repeat a single space 100 times).

Then, we are starting at space 100 of that, and taking the next 100 spaces. That will get us our 3 or 4 character code (and a whole lot of spaces).
So then we just use the TRIM function to get rid of ll the extra spaces.

Make sense?

Upvote 0
Excel Formula:
=IF(LEFT(A1,6)="Policy",MID(A1,FIND("-",A1)+1,FIND("-",A1,FIND("-",A1)+1)-FIND("-",A1)-1),"")

Thank you the formula works fine but in order for me to understand for future, can you please help me understand what is this formula doing?

I broke it down and figured out that first "Find" syntax is looking at the 9th character. The second syntax is subtracting and coming to result of 6 but I have no idea what is the significance of 6

Upvote 0
Basically, it is replacing all incidences of " - " (space, dash, space) with 100 spaces. So then you are putting 100 blank spaces between the section before and after the part you want to extract (REPT is the REPEAT function, saying to repeat a single space 100 times).

Then, we are starting at space 100 of that, and taking the next 100 spaces. That will get us our 3 or 4 character code (and a whole lot of spaces).
So then we just use the TRIM function to get rid of ll the extra spaces.

Make sense?
This does make sense. Thank You very much.

Upvote 0
The 6 simply refers to the number of characters in the string "Policy".

Upvote 0
another option

RawDataResult
Policy - AVIA - UA00014882AV18AAVIA
Policy - AVIA - UA00014882AV18AAVIA
Account - 3 Guys Beverages LLC
Policy - MGL - MLB-0000182-01MGL
Policy - MEL - RG1900078MEL
Policy - EXLI - RN1900239EXLI
Policy - CLL - MLB-0000183-01CLL
Policy- VPL - V-16206-19VPL
Policy- EXLI -RN1900291EXLI
Policy - PKGC - PK-19-040PKGC
Policy - PKGC - PK-19-040PKGC
Account - 3U Technologies, LLC
Account - 69th National Square Dance Convention
Account - 69th National Square Dance Convention

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    Result = Table.SelectColumns(Table.AddColumn(Source, "Result", each if Text.StartsWith([RawData], "Policy") then Text.BetweenDelimiters([RawData], "- ", " -") else null),{"Result"})
in
    Result

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back