Need to reassign keyboard shortcut (hotkey) ctrl+V to the paste function

ExcellentGuy2

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I am completely stumped. I assigned ctrl+v to a macro in Excel and now I want to switch it back to the preset "Paste" function. To my surprise, I cannot figure out how to do this. I have searched all over the web and very few even recognize my question, much less have any meaningful advice. I would think that this is a pretty common problem, but I can't seem to find an answer on the internet. Worse, those referencing earlier version of Excel , allude to nested option commands for reassigning hotkeys that must had existed in those previous versions, but simply do not appear to exist in Excel 2019 (their advice always leads to dead ends). I'm do vaguely recall that this was a pretty simple thing to do in earlier versions of Office that I owned, but in Excel 2019, I can't find anything either in Options or any reference in Help. I have no problem with ctrl+v for pasting copies in Word. I can write macros in Excel that copy and paste OK. The paste function works OK when I right click paste or use the menu. I just can't assign the ctrl+v hotkey back to the Paste function in Excel, as it was originally assigned by Microsoft. A Paste hotkey would make my editing life only marginally easier, but I am resentful at the lack of transparency and control that Microsoft grants its users. This would seem to be so simple a fix, that I'm becoming very vexed at not being able to figure this out. Why is this proving to be so difficult? WHAT AM I MISSING HERE?

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
OK, I've seen this thread. But, it must be for an earlier version of Excel, since "...Go to File>Options>Customize Ribbon and click on the Keyboard shortcuts: Customize button." does not appear to be an option for Excel 2019. Where does the "Keyboard shortcuts" button exist? Part of my frustration. Has Microsoft moved this to another location or eliminated it altogether?

Upvote 0
What happened with the Macro you assigned Ctrl+V to, where is it, is it still active ?
And did you assign it through Macro Options or as an Application.OnKey ?
I assigned through the Macro Option. Yes, deactivating the hotkey for my macro does revert ctrl+v to EditPaste. However, the assigned Macro runs a very complicated VB program for filling calculated data rows and columns, that I use for hydraulic analyses. Its very useful to have that hotkey assigned to it. If I could keep Macro hotkey and switch EditPaste to a new hotkey that would be nice. But none of this is apparent. Where are the controls for assigning hotkeys to default functions in Excel 2019? I see references to keyboard shortcuts in the customized ribbon in threads I've looked at, but this must be for earlier version of Excel since "...Go to File>Options>Customize Ribbon and click on the Keyboard shortcuts: Customize button." does not appear to be an option for Excel 2019. Where does the "Keyboard shortcuts" button exist? Is it somewhere else or has Microsoft inexplicitly eliminated it?

Upvote 0
If I could keep Macro hotkey and switch EditPaste to a new hotkey that would be nice.
I would suggest doing it the other way round. Leave Ctlr V at it's default & create a different shortcut for the macro.

Upvote 0
@ExcellentGuy2 Have you tried to add the paste option to the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT)? If you add the paste option to that, you can then use the ALT key to do the pasting, for example, when I added the paste option to my QAT, the paste hotkey was ALT-4.

Upvote 0
QAT walkthrough to add a Paste 'HotKey' to Excel

Click File tab at top left/Options/On the left side, click Quick Access Toolbar/In the middle of new window, change the drop down 'Popular Commands' to 'All Commands' ... scroll down in the 'All Commands' window to the the first value that says 'Paste'. Click on that and then click on the 'Add>>' in the middle of the window. Then select the 'OK' option at the bottom of the window.

That should do it! You should now have an additional icon at the very top left of your Excel window, to the right of the 'Microsoft' logo. More than likely the new 'Paste' icon will be about 4 icons to the right of the 'Microsoft' logo located at the very top left of the window. If you click the 'Alt' button one time, you will see numbers and letters at the top of the Excel window, more than likely, a '4' will be over the newly created 'Paste' Icon, that means that 'Alt-4' is your 'new' hotkey to Paste. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back