Need to solve a mathematical problem and I must use two fonctions to do it.

ablain

[FONT=&quot]Hi,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I need to solve this using 2 fonctions (not 1, not 3).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You hire an employee to pick up tomatos.If he picks up 8 cases an hour, 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, but you guarantee him a minimum of 4 weeks, how many days do you hire him for 1000 cases?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm really stuck with this one and I cant seem to find any helping document online.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PLEASE HELP!!![/FONT]

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
I dislike teachers that specify how a problem should be solved. But in this case, the "optimum" solution does indeed use two Excel functions.

If you guarantee at least 4 weeks of 6 days each, how many days is that? I'll call that "x".

If the employee can pick 8 cases per hour and 8 hours per day, how many cases can she pick in a day? Then, how many days will it take for her to pick up 1000 cases?

The teacher probably wants you to round up to a whole number of days. I'll call that "y".

Then, you must hire the employee for the larger of "x" or "y".

If you do not know what functions to use for rounding up a value and finding the larger of two values, enter "math functions" and "statistical functions" into Excel Help ("?" icon), and scroll through each list.

PS.... Test your formula with 2000 cases as well as 1000 cases.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Assuming that you wanted to round up part of a day to a whole number :

=MAX(24, ROUNDUP(1000/64,0))

Upvote 0
Assuming that you wanted to round up part of a day to a whole number :

=MAX(24, ROUNDUP(1000/64,0))

Very good... you just did ablain's homework for him/her. I am pretty sure Joe was trying to lead him/her to that solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very good... you just did ablain's homework for him/her. I am pretty sure Joe was trying to lead him/her to that solution.
Thanks. I'm flattered.
Based on your premise, answers should not be included in replies to many posts to this forum since many of them can be easily found with a simple search of the internet.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I'm flattered.
Based on your premise, answers should not be included in replies to many posts to this forum since many of them can be easily found with a simple search of the internet.

I think you may have missed my point. It seemed to me (and Joe) that this was clearly a homework problem (the "I need to solve this using 2 fonctions (not 1, not 3)." sort of says so)... we should not be providing solutions to homework problems when they can clearly be identified as homework problems. It is better to lead the OP to the solution than just give it to them... that way they learn something and what they turn into their teacher is their work not someone else's.

Upvote 0
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]I think you may have missed my point. [/COLOR]
No I didn't. My response was a feeble attempt at irony - obviously failed since you appear to have missed my point.
It is unnecessary for you to explain your position. You are entitled to work to whatever criteria you prefer but I am not obliged to follow them.

Upvote 0
This was indeed part of a homework. But my goal here was not to gather plain answers but just to understant how one's would approach a problem like this. Our teacher in this case is not really good and many students tried to get some clarification from him without success. So yes @footoo gave me an answer to one of MANY similar problem but he gave me a new understanding on how to approach such a problem.

...sorry for my english btw

Upvote 0
Thank you. This does help me understand how to use fonction to solve this type of problem. Really appreciate it!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back