Need Vlookup experts on this string

finchd4

Hi,

I am looking for some suggestions on why this string isnt working.

Background: This code used to be three nested if statements that sepperated people out by thier shift when searching for them using a id (this searched for shift was in a different file, "welder Database")

Then I manipulated it with the IF OR statement on the front for a new criteria of filtering basically.

Now I am looking at adding three more If statments to search a different file "Supervisors" for thier shifts.

We want to keep the supervisors sepperate from our welder database, otherwise I would just add them to the other one.

I have the first of the new IF statements on here searching for wheather or not they are on second shift. I have second first because that is where the first instance that comes up is and I'm just testing a few rows at this point. Problem is, I know the Supervisor is on Second and it is still returning a "#N/A" Error.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you,

=IF(OR(MASTER[[#This Row],[Length Rejected (cm)]]="EMPTY",MASTER[[#This Row],[Welder]]="Supplier"),"",IF(VLOOKUP(O14077,'S:\Fab Planning\Weld School\Welder Database\[4.16.09 Peoplesoft Welder and Robot Database list v3.xls] Welders'!$C$1:$H$65536,6,FALSE)="T","3rd",IF(VLOOKUP(O14077,'S:\Fab Planning\Weld School\Welder Database\[4.16.09 Peoplesoft Welder and Robot Database list v3.xls] Welders'!$C$1:$H$65536,6,FALSE)="S","2nd",IF(VLOOKUP(O14077,'S:\Fab Planning\Weld School\Welder Database\[4.16.09 Peoplesoft Welder and Robot Database list v3.xls] Welders'!$C$1:$H$65536,6,FALSE)="F","1st",IF(VLOOKUP(O14077,Supervisors.xlsx!Table1[#All],2,FALSE)="2","2nd","N/A")))))

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Which version of excel are you using?

With excel 2007 or newer you could cut that formula down significantly, making it easier to see where it's going wrong.

Upvote 0
Which version of excel are you using?

With excel 2007 or newer you could cut that formula down significantly, making it easier to see where it's going wrong.

I am using 2007, But alot of the department is still using older versions. Would this idea of yours be able to be compatible, and if not.... I may be interested anywise.

Upvote 0
This includes 1st, 2nd and 3rd for welders and supervisors, unfortunately it isn't compatible with older versions of excel, only 2007 or newer.

=IFERROR(IF(OR(MASTER[[#This Row],[Length Rejected (cm)]]="EMPTY",MASTER[[#This Row],[Welder]]="Supplier"),"",IFERROR(VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP(O14077,'S:\Fab Planning\Weld School\Welder Database\[4.16.09 Peoplesoft Welder and Robot Database list v3.xls] Welders'!$C$1:$H$65536,6,FALSE),{"T","S","F";"3rd","2nd","1st"}2,0),VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP(O14077,Supervisors.xlsx!Table1[#All],2,FALSE),{3,2,1;"3rd","2nd","1st"},2,0))),"N/A")

Upvote 0
This includes 1st, 2nd and 3rd for welders and supervisors, unfortunately it isn't compatible with older versions of excel, only 2007 or newer.

=IFERROR(IF(OR(MASTER[[#This Row],[Length Rejected (cm)]]="EMPTY",MASTER[[#This Row],[Welder]]="Supplier"),"",IFERROR(VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP(O14077,'S:\Fab Planning\Weld School\Welder Database\[4.16.09 Peoplesoft Welder and Robot Database list v3.xls] Welders'!$C$1:$H$65536,6,FALSE),{"T","S","F";"3rd","2nd","1st"}2,0),VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP(O14077,Supervisors.xlsx!Table1[#All],2,FALSE),{3,2,1;"3rd","2nd","1st"},2,0))),"N/A")

Gives Me an Error Here: See Highlighted Above. What does the 2,0 syntax mean?

Upvote 0
Oops, I missed a comma

=IFERROR(IF(OR(MASTER[[#This Row],[Length Rejected (cm)]]="EMPTY",MASTER[[#This Row],[Welder]]="Supplier"),"",IFERROR(VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP(O14077,'S:\Fab Planning\Weld School\Welder Database\[4.16.09 Peoplesoft Welder and Robot Database list v3.xls] Welders'!$C$1:$H$65536,6,0),{"T","S","F";"3rd","2nd","1st"},2,0),VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP(O14077,Supervisors.xlsx!Table1[#All],2,0),{3,2,1;"3rd","2nd","1st"},2,0))),"N/A")

column 2 of the vlookup, 0 = false.

Vlookup uses the array constant in place of a range, {"T","S","F";"3rd","2nd","1st"} is the same as a 3 row, 2 column range, Commas delimit the rows, semicolons delimit the columns.

Upvote 0
Would the table that the first set of vlookups uses have to be in 2007 format? because I didnt get an error this time, but now it returns N/A as the code states it should for all the welders, and supervisors?

I see that it now has my entire file path to the second file though, and that one is in 2007.

Upvote 0
That shouldn't make any difference, have you tried stepping through with formula evaluation to see where the error is starting?

Basic principle, red section handles welders, green handles supervisors,

=IFERROR(IF(OR(MASTER[[#This Row],[Length Rejected (cm)]]="EMPTY",MASTER[[#This Row],[Welder]]="Supplier"),"",IFERROR(VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP(O14077,'S:\Fab Planning\Weld School\Welder Database\[4.16.09 Peoplesoft Welder and Robot Database list v3.xls] Welders'!$C$1:$H$65536,6,0),{"T","S","F";"3rd","2nd","1st"},2,0),
VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP(O14077,Supervisors.xlsx!Table1[#All],2,0),{3,2,1;"3rd","2nd","1st"},2,0))),"N/A")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Basically What I am getting currently is that the "OR" statement is working, but none of the lookups are finding anytihng with this one.

Upvote 0
It is not giving an error now, it is returning the "N/A" value that it is suppos3ed to do upon the event of not finding anything in the vlookups.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back