Negative nubers turn to black in Conditional Formating

johnny1r

Hello and thanks for looking at my question! I am using Excel 2016 and am trying to get Conditional Formatting to give negative numbers and only negative numbers to show in red type. Numbers on Worksheet are formatted red for negative.
A1 B1 C1 D1 E1 F1 G1
10 5 -10 -5 -3 5 3
There are 2 conditions to each cell starting in B1, 1) B1 < A1 should get Red background, Black Type. 2) B1 > A1 you should get Green background and Black Type. Font color is set as automatic. The result in B1 is, Red background/ Black Type. C1 result should be red/red, D1 result should be green background/red type and so on. What I get is negative numbers in black. If I format in conditional formatting, numbers with negative numbers in red, the result is black number with no minus sign.
My eyes aren't what they used to be and it's easier to see red numbers than a minus sign for me.
I am an Excel retired home user and have been trying now for days and hope there is a solution, Thank You. John

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Instead of using Conditional Formatting, why not simply Custom Format the cells using this Type pattern...

[Red][<0]General;General

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pardon my intrusion,
How do you do the above?
where do I put it?
many thanks
Select the cell or cells you want to have this format, right-click the selection and select "Format Cells" from the popup menu that appears, select "Custom" from the "Category" list, copy/paste what I posted in to the field labeled "Type" and finish off by clicking the "OK" button.

Upvote 0
Instead of using Conditional Formatting, why not simply Custom Format the cells using this Type pattern...

[Red][<0]General;General

Hi,

Doesn't the native "Number" cell format do the same?

Upvote 0
Thank You Rick but how do I get the red or green fill to see if the cell went up or down in value?

Upvote 0
Thank You Rick but how do I get the red or green fill to see if the cell went up or down in value?
I am not sure what you are asking here. Your original question was about font color, but here you are saying something about a color fill. Assuming you meant the font color like in your original post... basically, you would put whatever formula you needed in the cells with this format and if the formula returned a negative number, then the Custom Format that I posted would display that negative value in a red font, otherwise it would display a positive formula result in the default black font color.

Upvote 0
Doesn't the native "Number" cell format do the same?
Not exactly. Yes, for whole numbers, but not for floating point numbers. The format I posted displays the number with whatever number of decimal places it has... the Number format displays all numbers to a set number of decimal places (selected by the person formatting the cell).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back