Negative Number in formula adding instead of subtracting

casexcel

I received an answer from a previous post on how to make a row of numbers an automatic negative without having to type the - in front of each number. However, when I include that row in a formula for the Sum of, it counts it as a positive.

Is there a way to enter a number in a cell without having to enter the - before it AND the total sum recognizes it as a negative?

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Hi

I assume that previous suggestion was only to change the format of the cell rather than change the actual values?

If you have a bunch of values that you need to flip then, in a spare cell enter -1, copy it, select the range for number and go to paste special > values > multiply > ok.

If however you want to flip the numbers as users type then you would need to go down a macro route although I don't see the point of this if it simply spares a user from entering a minus before the number.

Use Data Validation: Cell < 0 rule to prohibit a user from entering a positive value.

Upvote 0
If you have a mixture of +ve and -ve numbers in a range then you could use a helper column to convert all to -ve. See example below:
Excel Workbook
AB
1-672-672
2-467-467
3872-872
4161-161
5687-687
6491-491
7937-937
8-997-997
9759-759
1066-66
11934-934
12-14-14
13-154-154
sheet
Excel 2003
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=-ABS(A1)

Upvote 0
in cell outside of your formula range enter -1.
highlight the numbers/cells you want to be negative NOT INCLUDING THE CELL WITH SUM FORMULA!!! while these are still highlighted: ALT+S+M (paste special, multiply)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back