Nest NPV function within PMT formula as the argument for "PV" .

jimcarroll

I've been given a particularly diabolical challenge, and for the life of me, I cannot make it work. The challenge is to execute within a single cell a formula that will calculate "EAC: equivalent annual cost" within a single cell. There are two distinct steps in the calculation; first, one calculates the "net present value" [in reality a present value incorporating all negative cash flows, but using the functionality of the NPV() function]. Having done that, one uses the PV thus obtained as the PV argument in the PMT() formula. I have tried various strategies, and none has worked. I get a "too many arguments" or "too few arguments" error message when I try. It would take the form of:

PMT({Cell containing interest rate},{cell using count of a column listing cash flows},{NPV()formula evaluating to PV},[FV],[TYPE]). If you want to see the two steps, done separately, explained better than I have ever seen it, watch this guy Patrick from Ryerson University at https://www.allthingsmathematics.com/courses/134034/lectures/3812802 . Even if you're not a business or math geek, the explanation is done so well that it's worth your time. Anyway, I hope one of the Excel gurus on here can help me do this "all in a single cell" challenge. Thanks.

Jim

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back