Nested formulas with CSE

KatK6

Hi guys,

Its a bit of tricky question but I could really use some help. Basically I'm using a whole bunch of Array Formulas (CSE function) to look up and count cells that are a listed in an adjacent excel sheet.

I need a function that says:
Count the number of people in excel sheet 'survey data' who had the text "male" in K2:K3193 who also met the following criteria...
Have the same string of text in a column of the 'survey data' sheet as is in cell B1 of this sheet
AND who have a value less than or equal to B4 in column BI of the 'survey data' sheet (these values are referring to dates)
AND who have a value of 0 in column DK of the 'survey data' sheet
Only where all 3 conditions are met do I want it to count the number rows who were male.

I've gotten this far but I think the formula is counting anyone who meets one of the three criteria (not just those who meet all three)
=SUM(('surveydata'!$K$2:$K$3193="male")
*(IF((ISERROR((FIND(B$1,'survey data'!$AA$2:$AA$3193)))),0,1))
*IF('survey data'!$BI$2:$BI$3193<=B$4,1,0))
*IF('survey data'!$DK$2:$DK$3193=0,1,0)

Is it a matter of rearranging the brackets, adding some 'AND' commands or swapping to a different formula (SumIFS?).

FYI- I'm running Excel 2011 (Mac).

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
A concise sample would be very useful.
You can add your sheet reference information and edit to hard code the criteria if you prefer.

Try either of

=SUMPRODUCT(--($K$2:$K$3193=C1),--($AA$2:$AA$3193=B1),--($BI$2:$BI$3193<=B$4),--($DK$2:$DK$3193=D1))

=SUM(IF($K$2:$K$3193=C1,IF($AA$2:$AA$3193=B1,IF($BI$2:$BI$3193<=B$4,IF($DK$2:$DK$3193=D1,1,0)))))

The second formula must be array entered.

N.B. I have not used Excel 2011 (Mac).

Upvote 0
Hello KatK6, welcome to MrExcel

COUNTIFS might be your best bet. Try this

=COUNTIFS('surveydata'!$K$2:$K$3193,"male",'survey data'!$AA$2:$AA$3193,B$1,'survey data'!$BI$2:$BI$3193,"<="&B$4,'survey data'!$DK$2:$DK$3193,0)

For the second condition in that formula only exact matches with B1 will count - your use of FIND implies that the B1 value might be found amongst othe text, if that's the case then you can use wildcards, i.e.

=COUNTIFS('surveydata'!$K$2:$K$3193,"male",'survey data'!$AA$2:$AA$3193,"*"&B$1&"*",'survey data'!$BI$2:$BI$3193,"<="&B$4,'survey data'!$DK$2:$DK$3193,0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dukenia71

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back