Nested IF, COUNTIF and OR statements

Kotche

I am attempting to build a simple dashboard that will reflect the overall status of several processes with a Red, Amber, Green indicator.

For example, I have 6 processes in total, each to be marked as Red, Amber or Green.

If all 6 are marked as Green, I want my Overall Status to be marked Green.

If one or more are marked as Amber, I want my Overall Status to be marked Amber.

However, if one or more are marked as Red, I want my Overall Status to marked Red.

My formula returns my expected Overall Status if there is only two types of status among the 6 processes (ie. 4x Green and 2x Amber returns me an Overall Status of Amber). But if I have a mixture of all three statuses among the 6 processes (ie. 4x Green, 1x Amber and 1x Red), I get an Overall Status of Amber instead of Red.

Where have I gone wrong with my formula to provide my Overall Status?

=IF(((COUNTIF(F8:F13,"Green"))=6),"Green",(IF(COUNTIF(F8:F13,"Amber")>=1,"Amber","Red")))

I'm thinking I need an OR statement in my second COUNTIF statement ...?

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Re: Help using nested IF, COUNTIF and OR statements

Does modifying your formula to:
=IF(((COUNTIF(F8:F13,"Green"))=6),"Green",(IF(COUNTIF(F8:F13,"Red")>=1,"Red","Amber")))
comply with everything you need? It at least works for the single red single amber state.

If all are Green we have no problem but if Red must be you next immediate consideration then it needs to be the next in the "loop" of concerns. "Amber" is therefore your default.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Re: Help using nested IF, COUNTIF and OR statements

Brilliant, thank you. That does the trick and seems obvious now. I appreciate your fresh set of eyes!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back