Nested If Formulas with cell references that change when the cells they refer to are edited

CrazyDave

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Good day Excel gurus,

A while back I posted a problem, which was solved, and still works awesomely.
However, I want to put this solution to other formulas and I'm having problems.

This is the original thread.

Cell References changing despite $ being used in the formulas.

That's a pretty simple formula that I started with...
I have other formulas which are nested If Formulas and the cell references change when I edit the data in those cells.... Is there any way to lock the cell references down as in the original solution?
And this is where it gets a little more complicated - I can't share the document, as it contains private and sensitive data...

This is the formula that I'd like fixed, if at all possible...

IF(COUNTIF('WeeklyTimings 2022'!$A$4:$A$33,$A3)=1,IF(INDEX('WeeklyTimings 2022'!$A$4:$B$33,MATCH($A3,'WeeklyTimings 2022'!$A$4:$A$33,0),2)="","a",INDEX('WeeklyTimings 2022'!$A$4:$B$33,MATCH($A3,'WeeklyTimings 2022'!$A$4:$A$33,0),2)),"")

If I change data in the cells referenced in this formula - WeeklyTimings 2022 A4 to B33 - the cells referenced in these formulas change... the A4 becomes A5 or A6, the B33 becomes B25, the A33 becomes A28.... etc. All dependent on what changes I've made... And it is quite frustrating needing to check the formulas on a regular basis...

The formula looks at the cell A3 and then checks the other page - WeeklyTimings 2022 - to see if the name in Cell A3 is in A4 to A33, and if it is, it returns the data in B4 to B33.
Sometimes the name in A3 isn't there, and so nothing is returned. Sometimes the name is there, but the cell in column B is empty, and 'a' is returned.

Many thanks in advance... and hope...

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
What if you were to use named ranges instead of cell addresses?

Excel Formula:
IF(COUNTIF(GroupA,$A3)=1,IF(INDEX(GroupB,MATCH($A3,GroupA,0),2)="","a",INDEX(GroupB,MATCH($A3,GroupA,0),2)),"")

Where:
Name RefersTo
GroupA'WeeklyTimings 2022'!$A$4:$A$33
GroupB'WeeklyTimings 2022'!$A$4:$B$33

Upvote 0
Solution
Hello riv01,
Apologies for the delay in replying. And many thanks for your response.
Named ranges is an interesting idea... can a named range be part of a table? The table is A3:B33

Upvote 0
I think so. All tables are assigned a name when created and there is nothing to prevent you from defining a new named range that is part of a table. But you would need to experiment.

Upvote 0
I think so. All tables are assigned a name when created and there is nothing to prevent you from defining a new named range that is part of a table. But you would need to experiment.
Thankyou riv01! I've assigned the range names, and changed four formulas across two sheets. They are working for now... :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back