Nested if loop

hskis

Hello, I am relatively new to VBA and am making a tool for work. In this particular part I am trying to pull the correct email from the sheet 'Active Contacts' by first looking for an exact match, then an exact match of the next column over (another contact name), then approximate match in the same order. The loop is supposed to bring the nestedif formula down and stop when there is no more data in the column (4). Right now the first cell is getting solved but the loop isn't moving down, it stays at Range("E3"). Let me know what I can do, thank you!

Code:
Sub NestedIFDYN()
    Range("E3").Select
    Dim i As Integer
    i = 3
    Do While Cells(i, 4).Value <> ""
    If ActiveCell.Formula = "=VLOOKUP('Enter Data'!R[-1]C[2],'Active Contacts'!R1:R1048576,2,FALSE)<>0" Then
        ActiveCell.Formula = _
            "=VLOOKUP('Enter Data'!R[-1]C[2],'Active Contacts'!R1:R1048576,2,FALSE)"
    ElseIf ActiveCell.Formula = "=VLOOKUP('Enter Data'!R[-1]C[3],'Active Contacts'!R1:R1048576,2,FALSE)<>0" Then
        ActiveCell.Formula = "=VLOOKUP('Enter Data'!R[-1]C[3],'Active Contacts'!R1:R1048576,2,FALSE)"
    Else
        ActiveCell.Formula = "=VLOOKUP('Enter Data'!R[-1]C[2],'Active Contacts'!R1:R1048576,2,TRUE)"
    End If
    i = i + 1
    Loop
End Sub
[End Code]

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Welcome to the Board!

Change all your references of ActiveCell to Cells(i,4)
And you can get rid of the first line, selecting E3

Upvote 0
Thank you! I chose to reference Cells(i,5). The Loop is working now except it's returning only the last line: Formula = "=VLOOKUP('Enter Data'!R[-1]C[2],'Active Contacts'!R1:R1048576,2,TRUE)". It's now a problem with the Nested if statement. The goal of the nested if is to move onto the next rule if the vlookup returns a 0 or a #N/A but I know it shouldn't have just gone straight to the last option. Let me know if you can help.

Code:
Sub NestedIFDYN()
    Dim i As Integer
    i = 3
    Do While Cells(i, 4).Value <> ""
    If Cells(i, 5).Formula = "=VLOOKUP('Enter Data'!R[-1]C[2],'Active Contacts'!R1:R1048576,2,FALSE)<>0" Or Cells(i, 5).Formula = "=VLOOKUP('Enter Data'!R[-1]C[2],'Active Contacts'!R1:R1048576,2,FALSE)<>#N/A" Then
        Cells(i, 5).Formula = _
            "=VLOOKUP('Enter Data'!R[-1]C[2],'Active Contacts'!R1:R1048576,2,FALSE)"
    ElseIf Cells(i, 5).Formula = "=VLOOKUP('Enter Data'!R[-1]C[3],'Active Contacts'!R1:R1048576,2,FALSE)<>0" Or Cells(i, 5).Formula = "=VLOOKUP('Enter Data'!R[-1]C[3],'Active Contacts'!R1:R1048576,2,FALSE)<>#N/A" Then
        Cells(i, 5).Formula = "=VLOOKUP('Enter Data'!R[-1]C[3],'Active Contacts'!R1:R1048576,2,FALSE)"
    Else
        Cells(i, 5).Formula = "=VLOOKUP('Enter Data'!R[-1]C[2],'Active Contacts'!R1:R1048576,2,TRUE)"
    End If
    i = i + 1
    Loop
End Sub
[End Code]

Upvote 0
I don't think you are approaching this correctly. If I am understanding your correctly, I don't think you want to check if the formula in a cell is equal to another formula (that is what the structure of:
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]If Cells(i, 5).Formula = "=VLOOKUP('Enter Data'!R[-1]C[2],'Active Contacts'!R1:R1048576,2,FALSE)<>0"[/COLOR]

is trying to do).

I think you simply want to check to see whether a lookup formula finds a value, or returns an error, right? I think it would be best to skip all the else statements, and simply do a single function that uses nested IFERROR and VLOOKUP functions, something structured like:
Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP1,IFERROR(VLOOKUP2,IFERROR(VLOOKUP3,"Not found")))
where VLOOKUP1, 2, and 3 represent each VLOOKUP formula.

To get the exact syntax you need for VBA, just turn on your Macro Recorder, and record yourself entering the formula in one of your cells.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back