Nested IF statement help

wadergirl

I know this is going to be super easy, I'm just having one of those mental/emotional days where I just cant even. I had a working formula in a template previously, but then of course some genius (not me) saved over the template and the working formula was lost.

Basically, I need an IF statement that returns this Thursday's date, if today is Monday, but NEXT Thursday's date if today is Tuesday-Friday. i.e. Today, the formula would return 5/7. Tomorrow and the rest of the week, it would return 5/14.

The formula that I did have was something along the lines of:
=IF(A5="","",IF(WORKDAY(Today())=2,(Today()+3))

Unfortunately, in trying to re-create it with the 5 other possibilities of what WORKDAY equals and how many days would need to be added to Today(), I kept getting #VALUE error, and like I said, I'm at the point of "can't even" today. Please help!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Thanks Eric! I am not familiar with the CHOOSE function, but I plugged that in, and at least today it works. Looks like definitely a much simpler solution! I'll be back tomorrow to let you know if it doesn't update to 5/14 as I expect.

(And this is mostly just for self-reference in case I need to come back to this thread for something else, but I just thought I would post my full NON-working formula, found in a duplicate backup of my template.. LOL... too bad I apparently didn't save the backup with my working version of this formula... this is the full formula that gave the #VALUE error.)
=IF(B5="","",CONCATENATE(A5,"-",TEXT(IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 6, TODAY()+3,(IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 5,TODAY()+4),(IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 4,TODAY()+6),(IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 3,TODAY()+7),(IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 2,TODAY(),"")))))),"mmddyy"),"-",BG5))

Upvote 0
In looking at your original formula, a couple of things stand out. First, the logic it uses and what I use is very similar. The first parameter of CHOOSE is a number from 1 to whatever. The rest of the parameters is a list of results you want. If the first parameter is a 1, then take the first item from the list. If it's a 2, then choose the second item from the list, and so on. So if I give it WEEKDAY(TODAY()) as the first parameter, that gives me the day of the week, and rest of the list is how many days I need to add to get to the day I want. So I add 4 for Sunday, 3 for Monday, 9 for Tuesday, etc.

The second thing I noticed is that you take the resultant date, format it, and append - "BG5". Let me know if you need help figuring out how to do that.

Upvote 0
The second thing I noticed is that you take the resultant date, format it, and append - "BG5". Let me know if you need help figuring out how to do that.

So the ultimate end result of the formula is a CONCATENATE of "A5-mmddyy-BG5" (where MMDDYY is the date formula that was the issue) - example would be "01-050720-AP"

Upvote 0
P.S. When I replaced all of the nested IF statements with the TODAY()+CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(TODAY()),4,3,9,8,7,6), the CONCATENATE portion did work correctly.

Upvote 0
Not that I really doubted you, but thank you again, Eric! Your formula is much better than mine (when it was working).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back