New Database Design Help

mattyn

Board Regular
Hi All

This seems a good place to start. I have a fair bit of historical IT knowledge - HND level but it was about 13 years ago. I am pretty good at spread sheets, and was reasonably ok with Access - but that was Access 2K.
Now I am in a new job (education facility) there is a massive requirement to move from spreadsheets to an all inclusive management database. Eventually I need to pull all sorts of stats but I will come to that later.

Courses: The facility I am in runs a lot of short term courses - from one day to 8 week duration. Each course is run multiple times per year (the minimum of each course occurrence is laid down by the head office). Each course is grouped into pillars (each pillar has about 15 courses). Each course has a number of EOs (enabling objectives) but not all are reached and I need to be able to see what EOs are not reached.

Students: Students may attend multiple courses (rarely the same course twice but not unheard of should they fail). They are awarded qualifications on successful completion of a course, but that is dependant on what EOs were reached. I need to chase students 6 months after a course to carry out a Course Review Questionnaire.

Staff: Each member of staff has a title, staff number, position name, position number, and fits into one pillar for course delivery. Also, each member of staff needs to complete some mandatory training annually - about 15 small courses which I need to track their due date for each staff member.

I also want to be able to manage classrooms - we have a number that differ in maximum capacity - from 6 to 16. Each course has a maximum capacity of students (based on course content not classroom size) and I need to be able to link the two together to enable a slightly easier planning phase of course generation.

First question is - this year we are planning 500 course occurrences with about 3000 students going through. Is Access up to the task?

Second question - I have started to design this, but scrapped it as I think I am trying to solve all the issues at once. What is the best way to attack this problem?

Third - the HQ are mental about stats. How many training days are we actually delivering, what EOs are we missing, why are students attending the course, how many courses were cancelled for non-attendance, how many no-shows did we get per year, to name but a few.

I see this as three databases in one - a Student, Staff and Course Management databases.

I would really appreciate some expert thoughts on this. Even if I don't get HQ to support it, I am quite keen to build it as a personal project - a bit of self learning!

Many thanks in advance

Matt

That is my next step - but I feel that is a task where I need to be "in the mood".

Onto reports etc. If I open a report in "Print Preview" mode as a pop up, how can I save it then as a PDF? I know I can do it by clicking Export to PDF, but is it possible to create a question box on each report to ask whether to Save It as PDF, and then if the answer is Yes, go through the Save As process?

I will run this from a Switchboard Button. I don't want it to save automatically - I need it to ask me.

As usual, MTIA

Matt

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Hmm, you need to open a Form with your Report then on the Form you can add a button to save as a .PDF

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy Boot

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back