New error: "Another user edited this record and saved the changes before you attempted to save your changes." Timestamp blank

Ethvia

Board Regular
Hi, I've been using a database for about a year now but only recently started getting an error where the user receives a message stating "another user edited this record and saved the changes before you attempted to save your changes". It happens frequently but not always and it happens even when there is only one person using the database. The database uses an MS Access front end and an SQL backend.

I did some reading on this error and found multiple posts that claimed it was fixed by adding a column type of 'timestamp' on the SQL side and relinking the table to MS Access. However this doesn't work for me.

One thing I noticed is that when I open the linked table in MS Access that new field is completely empty and MS Access gives it a data type of Binary. However when I open it up in SQL management studio, the field is populated.

I'm wondering if this is why I continue to get the error. I'm using MS Access for Office 365 MSO (16.0.11929.20946) 32-bit

Thanks for any ideas.

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Why would 2 people be editing the same record?

1 fix would be to NOT edit directly on the record. Instead, when user selects the record to edit, it is copied to a local table for user to edit,
then the Save button writes it back in 1 update. Very little possibility of 2 people save at the same time.

Upvote 0
even when there is only one person using the database
That suggests to me that some code or action begins an edit when a previous edit started but has not been committed. As for one view showing data and the other not, my only thoughts are that the tables you've linked to in Access are not the ones you're seeing in SQL back end, or in the Access view there are line wraps in the data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back