New Excel update causes two Templates to open when I try to open one

DougRobertson

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

As of a Microsoft update around the end of September 2017, I can't get any Templates I've made and been using for years now to open properly.

Instead of just Double-Clicking on either a xltx or xltm file (in Excel 2016) and seeing 1 copy of the Template open with a suffix of "1", the same action now causes 2 copies to open - the first one with a "1" suffix, then seconds later, the second one opens with a "2" suffix.

Is anyone else experiencing this these days?

Thank-you for any light anyone can shed on this!

~ DWR

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Yes I notice that last friday.
I thought it was something that I did because I was playing with the personal.xlsb file but when I arrive at the company on monday a collegue complaint about the same thing.
So the problem must be related with some kind of update.

If anyone has a solution I would be appreciated

Horácio

Upvote 0
Thanks for responding Horácio - it's important to know I'm not alone!

I noticed that my current version of Excel is "Version 1708 (Build 8431.2079)". However I sent a copy of a Template I was having problems with, to a friend of mine who was running "Version 1709 ....", and he said that he wasn't experiencing any problems like I was. He suspects that Microsoft found the problems with the version you and I are running, but then issued the newer "Version 1709" shortly afterward with that issue fixed.

At this point I'm not able to get the "Version 1709" update, but hopefully soon!

If anyone else has any more info, we'd appreciate hearing about it.

~ DWR

Upvote 0
Thanks for responding Horácio - it's important to know I'm not alone!

I noticed that my current version of Excel is "Version 1708 (Build 8431.2079)". However I sent a copy of a Template I was having problems with, to a friend of mine who was running "Version 1709 ....", and he said that he wasn't experiencing any problems like I was. He suspects that Microsoft found the problems with the version you and I are running, but then issued the newer "Version 1709" shortly afterward with that issue fixed.

At this point I'm not able to get the "Version 1709" update, but hopefully soon!

If anyone else has any more info, we'd appreciate hearing about it.

~ DWR

I have the same problem - two windows of the same document open when I click on a template. I've tried removing Add-Ins - no joy.

Upvote 0
Good News!!

I have discovered that the Bug is in the Excel Build 1708, which was downloaded last week sometime. 2 other computers in our organization were experiencing the same issue.

Microsoft has a newer Build - 1709 - which has corrected the double-opening of Templates.

Unfortunately, most computers are on the "Monthly Channel" for updates, so they may not have access to the 1709 Build yet, and may have to wait for the Monthly Update from Microsoft.

To access 1709, you may have to be come an "Insider", and switch to the "Monthly Channel (Targeted)" user.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that, Doug.

I did a manual update check and got (a teeny bit) excited when one was found but instead of 1709, it was Version 1708 (Build 8431.2094).

I guess I'll just have to be patient. But at least knowing that a fix is in the pipeline should make the wait easier :)

Mark.

Upvote 0
Glad to help out - that's why I love Mr. Excel! 24/7 help from around the globe!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back