New Excel User - Simple Word Count Tracker Help

Timotheus_k

Hello all,

This is probably a very simple challenge that I've run into, but I am a writer, and I am currently trying to create a spreadsheet that tracks how many words that I type daily.

I am currently using Google Docs spreadsheet application online, but have access to Office 2007 on a computer running Windows 7. (I use the online version via Google Docs since it allows me to write from any computer with internet access-- if using Office '07 would help, I'd be happy to do so.)

Here is what I would like to create, but simply don't have the skills or understanding:

I have a goal of writing 2,000 words per day, so I wanted to create a spreadsheet that had the following columns:

Date:
Number of Words When Began:
Number of Words When Finished:
Total for the Day:
Met Exceeded Goal? (This, I was hoping, could be a red negative number if I was short on my 2,000 words, and a green positive number if I was at or above my goal of 2,000 words.)

The problem I keep having is that my logic must be flawed-- I cannot seem to get these columns to jive and work properly. I keep coming out with negative numbers and an inaccurate count.

Any help in explaining to me what I'm doing wrong, or the best way to go about creating this speadsheet would be greatly appreciated, and already I thank you for taking the time to even read my request.

Respect,

Tim

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Welcome to MrExcel board...

so post what formula you are currently using

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for the welcome!

Here is what I have in each cell that I am using so far:

A1 - Title/Heading :: formula=none

A2 - Date Last Updated :: forumla=none

A3 - Blank for visual asthetics :: formula=none

A4 - Date:: formula=none
B4 - Words When Began ::formula=none
C4 - Number of Words When Finished:: forumla=none
D4 - Total for the Day:: formula=none
E4 - Met/Exceeded Goal? :: formula=none

A5 - 11/30/2009 :: formula=none
B5 - 0 :: formula=none
C5 - 459 :: formula = none
D5 - 459 :: formula=C5-B5
E5 - 1541 :: formula= 2000-D5

I think that I'm close, but the problem lies in the 'Met/Exceeded Goal?' number. It's coming out as a positive 1,541, even though that is the number that I am short. I think that my logic is off, and I don't know how to express the outcome I'm looking for in a formula.

A bonus would certainly be showing the number in green if positive or equal, and red if negative, but not a big deal if that is difficult.

I hope the above cell listing is clear. If not, let me know what else I can provide, and in what format, and I'll be happy to do so.

- Tim

Upvote 0
you need to reverse the order on that formula

Excel Workbook
ABCDE
1Title/Heading
2Date Laste Updated
4DateWords When BeganNumber of Words When FinishedTotal for the DayMet/Exceeded Goal?
511/30/20090459459(1541)
Sheet3

then format the cell as a number with negative in red

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back