New message when i open worksheet

ipbr21054

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I have a workbook called DR & within it a worksheet called CLONING.
I was trying to make a code but messed it up.
I decided to open a copy of the same workbook which i had just renamed from DR to DR2 so both could be open
So with both open i go to DR2 & select the CLONING2 sheet,select move from the tool bar etc & then select the workbook DR of where i want it to now go.
I then see on my DR workbook the following,CLONING & CLONING2.
I delete CLONING then rename CLONING 2 to CLONING.
Now i have the same worksheet & the layout is correct.
I save & close.

When i now open this worksheet i see a message about one or more links that could not be updated ?
Why as both sheets are the same,the way i have moved the sheets around is the same as what i have always done.

If i delete the sheet CLONING then open the workbook this message is not there so its done to the CLONING sheet.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.

JLGWhiz

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
After you have done your copying and get your sheets renamed, just go to the Data tab on the Ribbon and click 'Edit Links'. You can then remove the link to the other workbook and you will not get the message when you close and reopen the new workbook.

ipbr21054

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I dont see an option for remove

JLGWhiz

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
If there is a file name displayed in the Edit Links dialog box then you should also see buttons on the right that give five options, one of which is to 'Break Links'. If you do not have a file linked, the 'Edit Links' button will be grayed out and you cannot open the Edit Links dialog box with that button.

ipbr21054

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows

ADVERTISEMENT

Morning,
Its still the same.
I open the workbook and see the message about the links etc.
I click on edit links.
I see the file name shown in blue.
I select break links & then close the box,save the workbook & close.
I then open the workbook to see it the same again

JLGWhiz

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Check your name manager to see if you have an external reference to a named range. You could also have formulas with external references.

JLGWhiz

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Yoo're welcome,
regards, JLG

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VICKRAM

This Week's Hot Topics

• Change military grades into rank
    Afternoon all Need help with formula that will change military rank (i.e. 1, 2, 3 into Amn, A1C, SrA). Running IF formula that does not work...
  • VBA COUNTIF SOLUTION
    Hi The following are the errors spread across the several columns from E to Q ie. 13 columns across several sheets with more than 500 rows per...
  • INSERT ROW WITH SPECIFIS TEXT IN A COLUMN
    Hi All! How can identify that that the row to be inserted has to be inserted before 1st row with specific text in column F. If I record the...
  • Auto-Create a monthly Sign in sheet for preschool students
    The image below is what each page looks like. Above is space for the "Child Name" "Month" "Class" School days are obviously Monday-Friday but...
  • VBA vlookup multiple results
    Hi folks, Hopefully someone out there can help. I have a list to vlookup which works (ish). the lookup only picks up the first instance of the...
  • Extract values for earliest/latest times
    I am trying to put together a formula to get the earliest start time, the latest end time from column A for each person in Column B-F without the...