New query from Web - VBA code might be needed to grab the data

virtuosok

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I'd like to be able to automatically pull the data from this resource: Flexible-Dose Trial in Early Parkinson's Disease (PD) - Tabular View - ClinicalTrials.gov
More specifically, individual bullets belonging to "Eligibility Criteria" section
In my ideal world, each bullet with a preceding dot would be posted in a separate cell as text (obviously without the leading dot).
Can you advise how I can do that? Simple "New query - from other source - from Web" only returns "List" as an option while I need individual bullets...
Thanks!

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
I've got to ask, do you need anything more than copy and paste?
You can just highlight the whole block of text, hit Ctrl + C then go into Excel, pick a starting cell and hit Ctrl + V.
That copies in the text with each bullet point in one row.

Upvote 0
Can you advise how I can do that? Simple "New query - from other source - from Web" only returns "List" as an option while I need individual bullets...
You can get the data with Power Query by drilling down to the relevant fields. You need two queries - one for the Inclusion Criteria and one for the Exclusion Criteria.

Upvote 0
Thank you both!
RickXL: the web page in question is dynamic and content changes periodically. Then, I need to monitor multiple pages so simple copy/paste is not practical...
John_w: I understand that for Excel 2016, this should be New Query => From other sources => Blank Query
Then, in the new window, Home => New Source => Other sources => Web => add Flexible-Dose Trial in Early Parkinson's Disease (PD) - Tabular View - ClinicalTrials.gov
And then, I likely need to play with Transform menu to pull the info from row 29? Can you walk me through please?
Capture.PNG

Upvote 0
Actually... I figured out, this was almost as easy as clicking "list" and then indeed drill down to inclusion - and exclusion - criteria.
Remaining question: the output gets loaded onto a new tab. Can I rename the tab to something meaningful, so that whenever the info on website changes, the data gets pulled onto this renamed tab with no issues?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back