New Stable Style - Set For All New Workbooks

mr-tom

Hi,

Excel 2010

I have searched for this problem and for others that may have similar solutions, but without luck. Apologies if I have managed to miss something that will later seem obvious.

I am trying to design a new table style that can then be used in all new blank workbooks.

I have successfully defined my style, but have discovered that new styles are only available within the current workbook and can't be transferred.

In previous versions of Excel, I was able to bypass issues like this by editing personal.xls, however my naive assumption that there would be an equivalent "personal.xlsx" in Excel 2010 was dashed when a search failed to find it.

So - does this seem the most appropriate approach?
Is there a personal.xlsx? If so, typically where would it live on a computer running Excel 2010 and Windows 7?

Many thanks,

Tom.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
If you look on the "home" tab there is a "styles" section. You can format tables and cells there and save the formats under names you can easily find. If it's something peculiar what I do is I have a file (myjunk.xlsx) when I finish a page of something I want to keep I open that file and put a copy into it. That may be where your trouble is coming. 2010 doesn't let you copy into a closed workbook. But, I have never had it refuse to copy over to one that's open by just using the context menu.

Hope this helps a little. :biggrin:

Upvote 0
You can indeed have a personal macro workbook in Excel 2010, but it is easier to create your styles in a new blank workbook, then save it as book.xltx in your XLSTART folder. This will then be used as the template for new workbooks created using Ctrl+N or the New workbook button on the QAT. (Note: it will not be used as the template if you use File-New-Blank workbook)

Upvote 0
Thanks guys,

Those are both very helpful indeed. I think I'll be going with Rory's option as I want to provide some standard formats across the company.

Thanks again.

Tom.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back