new to Excel 2010

sabrewolf

In Excel XP I had Excel set as my default program for opening tab-delimited text files. I can't seem to do that with Excel 2010. I tried searching, but did not find any helpful information on this topic.

I right-click the file saved on my desktop, and choose Open With... and then click Choose Default Program. I check the checkbox that says Always use the selected program to open this kind of file and click Browse. I find Office 14, and then excel.exe and click OK.

But this just returns me to the screen of Open With... and the default program icon does not change.

Can anyone help?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Wow, no answer to this? Excel is the perfect tool for shredding text files and somehow in MS Office 2010 it is not as easy to open a .txt file - in fact it appears that MS is saying - No!

I've tried to do the same things in Notepad, but it is not as capable as Excel is.

:mad:

Upvote 0
It worked when I just tried to do it...? So I don't know. Just wanted to let you know it worked for me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back