New to Excel - Best Practices for Navigation?

KhanofTarkir

Hi everyone,

Just started work as an analyst and got staffed on a model with inter-workbook linkages, named ranges for formulas, hundreds of rows/columns, etc.

I would rate my excel skills as 3/10 at best - what are your best practices for navigating quickly and efficiently within a sheet and between sheets? Is there a better of way of finding out the location of a referenced 'named range' in a formula within the workbook that is not on the same sheet as the formula?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Simply type the named range in the Name box on any sheet and press enter....it goes straight to the Named range
OR Select it from the dropdown in the Name box....

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply - I was thinking more of if I am looking at a formula that has a named range, but the named range is in a different sheet is there a shortcut or faster way to figure out the location of that named range?

Upvote 0
By clicking on the Name Manager is about the only other option....this will give the sheet name AND the cell references of that Named range

Upvote 0
Formula auditing toolbar used to be good pre-Excel 2007. Not sure about from Excel 2007 onwards.

Maybe CTRL-[ will do what you want sometimes? It would be quick & easy if it does.

Upvote 0
Hey Fazza
Yeah, it's still there in later versions.....Formulas>>formula auditing>>Evaluate formula

Upvote 0
Thanks, Michael. It used to be good when on its own toolbar. I realise it still exists, but don't know how easy it is to use in newer versions. Is it easy to use still?

regards

Upvote 0
Yeah, I don't think the actual Eval process is any different, once the Dialog box is open.
I Swear it took me a week to find it when I changed to 07 !!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back