New to Excel- Need help with a 'search sheet' please

Bela Lugosi

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
I'm writing a spreadsheet for my company where customer enquiry/order data is entered by a number of my colleagues.
It is mostly finished thanks to the generous amount of 'how-to' websites and youtube clips that are available.

Each customer enquiry is entered into a row in sheet 1, with included data such as 'date' 'enquiry number' 'customer name' 'work details' etc. I have written a macro that converts this data onto a 2nd sheet that can be printed or emailed as a job-sheet for a staff member to complete.

I'm stuck on the best way to search through the data on sheet 1. Ideally I would like a 3rd sheet named search. A copy of the column headings on sheet 1 would be on the search sheet for ease of use. I'd like to be able to type in various search boxes under the column headers and have data transferred from sheet 1 in whole row format.
I cannot find anything like this using a web search and have spent many hours looking.

Using a filter on sheet 1 would probably be suitable as long as the data is returned to normal before the sheet is exited or saved.

Can anyone offer any guidance on this please?

Many thanks

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Welcome to the board!

As a nudge in the right direction, have you considered using an *advanced* filter (as opposed to autofilter)? Advanced filters let you make copies of the data (as opposed to just filtering in place like autofilter).

Your post mentions that you have added some macros... if you record a macro running the advanced filter, you should be able to modify the code and attach it to a button to refresh the advanced filter's results if your user enters new search criteria.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back