New to server implementation

Royal Presence

Board Regular
Hi all.

I did try to search for this topic, since I believe I should exhaust all avenues of thought before asking of your generous time.

Bottom line: I created a database, which is not unique, but I do not know how to implement on the server for users, test it or roll it out. I guess I need to know what should I look out for, how should I partition or format. Absolutely, have no idea how to place this front end/back end thing, although I know it is vital.

We will have 20 viewers, two-three data entry users. Any suggestions from professionals? In the past other people took care of these things and I should have paid attention. Ah.......

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Your Royal person-ness-ess-ess

An Access database is a multi user application by default. Anyone with access to the database can add data.

If you have a separate back end from the front end then you need to connect the tables to the front end using the Linked Table Manager (Tools --> Database Utilities).

No need to format hard drives , but be aware of permissions that may be applicable when running databases (or any application) from a server. Windows 2000, 2003 etc have the ability to add users into Groups that have acces to certain files, folders and programs and this helps to keep undesirables (the riff-raff to you Royal folk) away.

Hope that helped.

anvil19
:eek:

Upvote 0
Thanks. I guess I was worrying for nothing!

Don't make fun of my name- it's a business name I devised ten years ago.
:confused:
Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thanks again anvil....

:rolleyes: A few more questions, if that is okay.

I have relationship problem. I know it's simple, but it's just not working at all. Tables are 'Orders, Order Details, Customers, Products, Categories, Time out or Time to Ship. The business is custom orders, no shelf ready items. Production needs to know what is on order. Typically, we ask for three weeks lead time. This is not always the case- however- as there are always special situations, throwing production into a loop, having to ask the Production Managers what is on their plate. In Excel, I made a nice production table which seems to be very helpful. However, I do not know how to transfer this to a new database. Is there a way to carry over the formula properties at all. Or should I just link the spreadsheet and keep on doing it with if today is six days out, etc..,

Upvote 0
Dear Mr. Presence

Further to my post of the 12 March, and your subsequent replies of 12 and 14 instant I do hereby reply that :

1) Yes, by just linking the spreadsheet as a table would be the simplist and easiest way to use that data in a query. Adding the daa to a table first and then running a query is wasteul of resources. Also, by keeping your data in the spreadsheet you can use all the Excel formulas and functions and have access to the data any time.

2) If you have relationship problems, take them to Oprah.

Yours

anvil19
:eek:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back