New to VB - Getting Frustrated with Creating Chart

tegan44

Using Excel 2007 and Windows XP

So I've programmed before in C, C++, Java, Python, but this VB stuff isn't clicking with me - I know what I want to do, but finding out how to do that from resources seems very difficult. If someone could help me with figuring out what commands I should be using, I would be very appreciative. This post might be slightly long, but hopefully I can get around my problems with minimal help. I have a copy of Excel 2002 VBA to reference, but it has not been easy to navigate either.

My overall goal: to have excel easily make a simplified chart (consisting of different items and those items' main components arranged in rectangles - basically I'm trying to recreate a current chart and make the process automated). Some fields have only one entry (Like a name) and some have multiple (different options available). I wish to make filterable lists as well as the final chart - the chart's purpose being visually seeing the information, while the lists are for easily navigating through/originally storing the data for use in the charts. My plan is to have different worksheet tabs for the different fields and one tab for the chart.

One thing I want to do is to selectively read in information from another excel file. The file I'm reading from has much more information than I need to use. What I want to do is to look down column title "X," until I find a cell equal to "field," then to write the information down in "field" on my chart's appropriate worksheet tab until it reaches the next field. So, Problem 1: How to read info from another file
Problem 2: How to do things like "do...while" and thus move down the column correctly
Problem 3: How to write the info into the appropriate place

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially specific functions. These are my main problems right now o_O

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
It's not so much creating the chart that is difficult - I've got a chart template that was given to me. It is more being able to search for a label, and copying the appropriate information, then pasting it as appropriate. - the sort of logical functions that I know how I want to work, but don't know how to execute in excel.

Also, with recording the macros I'm not having luck since I don't know how to say "go here, look for this, copy this information over here, keep going until you hit a blank"
One example of this being trying to record a macro that simply goes two cells down and pastes text - instead of it going two cells down it turns it into "select A5." Or if I search for the given label, go two cells down, copy, and paste - the copy turns into not copying that cell, but copying the word in that specific cell, making it not useful for using for various fields. :-/

Upvote 0
Can you give a concrete example of what you want to do. I can't write a book on VBA in here :)

Upvote 0
I should clarify, I don't think my use of the term "chart" is the standard excel use of the word "chart" - It's nothing numerical but just listed products and standard options available along with a pretty picture, each product in its own little box with information presented like

name
picture
field 1:
field 2:
a
b
field 3:
etc

Upvote 0
Yes - so I want to be able to go down a column and search for a given label. Under that label will be a number of options between 1-5 items long. I want to be able to take those items and copy them to another file along with a code for each product it is related with. I guess my most basic question is how do I go down a column, copy information elsewhere, and have the program know when to stop (i.e. when the next cell has no value). I can create a more complete example if needed....I think for whatever reason this stuff just isn't clicking with me so I'm having difficulties knowing exactly where to go for help. :-/

Upvote 0
You need to use the Range object. Define your column in terms of a range, ie

Sheet1.Range("A1:A10")

Now loop through that range:
Code:
Dim rCell as Range

For Each rCell in Sheet1.Range("A1:A10")
   'loop code here
Next rCell

Of course, you don't know your range stops at row 10, so you use the .End property of the Range object:
Sheet1.Range("A1",Range("A1000").End(xlUp))
That will start at cell A1000 and work up until it finds the first used cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back