New To VBA

TPRSCHM

Good Morning,

I'm still new to VBA and have learned a lot over the past month but I seam to have hit a brick wall with trying to figure out how to create a VBA to convert a text in both MDDYYYYY or MMDDYYYY formats to a standard M/DD/YYYY or MM/DD/YYYY format

Thanks
Jim

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Just pointing out that your formula returns the converted date as a text string, not a real Excel date. If that is okay with the OP, then there is a one-liner equivalent for your function...
Code:
Function ConvertDate(ByVal strDate As String) As Variant
   ConvertDate = Evaluate("IF(" & strDate & "=0,"""",TEXT(" & strDate & ",""0\/00\/0000""))")
 End Function
From what I see, if the OP chooses to uncomment the last line in my function (shown below) the result would be a date format. Just wondering if I'm missing something. I always use this format because I can easily compare if a date is before another using simple operators in IF statements, like <, > or =.
Please let me know if I'm missing something.
Code:
convertDate = CDate(sM & "/" & sD & "/" & sYYYY) ' use this to convert to Date type (used for comparison)

Also, thank you for the one liner. I should really pick up a book and learn all those helpful methods like TEXT and EVALUATE. (they are methods, right?)
From my quick search it seems TEXT is similar to FormatNumber, so I see what you are doing here which is basically formatting the date nicely versus my archaic DD & MM & YYYY method. noted for future work so when people look at my code I might look a little smarter
Code:
TEXT(" & strDate & ",""0\/00\/0000""))"
I see the IF part of your formula to handle the cells with a value of 0. so if it's 0 (TRUE) insert / return a blank, otherwise its FALSE and use the TEXT method to nicely format date and return that.
I also looked at the EVALUATE method and that you are calling the result of the IF with the either a 0 or the formatted Date.
Can you clue me into why the need to use EVALUATE here? Is this needed to make all this work? I tried removed EVALUATE and I couldn't get it to work.
Thanks for your time.

Upvote 0
pbcnick,

That worked like a charm, Thank you so much for helping me out

Jim

glad to help, Jim.

I also learned a thing or two today.
Keep working at your book and learn loops, select case and other forms of control flow to do all kinds of things in VBA!
Hopefully you'll be writing functions in no time!

This is a reminder to self to brush up on formulas and methods (like the ones Rick gave an example).
Since VBA is one of my programming tools, I have a lot of space to learn.

Hope you get some time under your wings as well.
cheers

Nick

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back