Newbie does not know verbage?

Michael32744

Hey all,
Here is my question.
I have many cells that I want to enter identical data into, not on the same row or the same column. I want to be able to change data in one cell and have it change in all the attached cells.
For instance, row 2 cell 2 has 999 in it, I want row 3 cell 4, and row 4 cell 5, and row 6 cell 7, to have the identical data entered into them as I change row 2 cell 2.
How do I do this, remember I am a newbie to this program and still fumbling around in 2016

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
1. Instead of "row 3 cell 4" you should say "row 3 column 4"

2. Is there a pattern to which cells you want this to apply to? Is it always R3C4, R4C5, R6C7, etc etc... ? Or does it change? How do you know which cells you need to change each time?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the board.

Start with an easy approach, in cell D4 (row 3, column 4) enter "=$B$2"

This means D4 will take the value of B2 and (assuming calculation is set to automatic) update, each time B2 changes.

Next, copy D4 and paste onto whatever other cells you need to be the same as B2. Each cell you paste to, should also then contain "=$B$2" and update as B2 changes

Upvote 0
1. Instead of "row 3 cell 4" you should say "row 3 column 4"

2. Is there a pattern to which cells you want this to apply to? Is it always R3C4, R4C5, R6C7, etc etc... ? Or does it change? How do you know which cells you need to change each time?

No there is no pattern at this time, and can it be set up if I change any one cell in the above question that all will change?

Upvote 0
can it be set up if I change any one cell in the above question that all will change

It can be set up to do anything you want! You just have to tell us what you want ;)

Upvote 0
Welcome to the board.

Start with an easy approach, in cell D4 (row 3, column 4) enter "=$B$2"

This means D4 will take the value of B2 and (assuming calculation is set to automatic) update, each time B2 changes.
Next, copy D4 and paste onto whatever other cells you need to be the same as B2. Each cell you paste to, should also then contain "=$B$2" and update as B2 changes
Ok I did this....works great, so I'll take it to the next step. How do I get D5 to take on the value of B3 and so on and so on?
D6 C3
Theres got to be a better way to drag this formula thing down the page?
Michael

Upvote 0
highlight all the required cells in Col D type the formula =C3 then press CTRL + Enter, not just Enter !!
OR
if there is data all the way down col C simply type the formula in D5 then double click on the little black square in the bottom RH corner of the cell

Last edited:
Upvote 0
=$B$3 means the B and 3 are fixed i.e. they do not change even if you copy and paste to another cell. The $ symbol does this "fixing". Remove them and then when you copy and paste they will update relatively.

E.g. in D5 enter "=B3", then copy D5 to D6 for you to see how it updates. Then try Michael's suggestion too - see how including and not including the $ part changes the formula as you copy and paste it.

Upvote 0
The easiest way (I think, anyway) to reference the contents of another cell, is...
1. click on the cell you want the "answer" to be
2. press the = sign
3. Use the mouse to click on the cell you need to reference
4. press Enter
done

Do this for the other places you need the reference to be. Once you are familiar with these basics, you can move on to copying and pasting, and using some of the other techniques

Upvote 0
Michael32744,

Welcome to the MrExcel forum.

We would like more information. Please see the Forum Use Guidelines in the following link:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/127080-guidelines-forum-use.html

See reply #2 at the next link, if you want to show small screenshots, of the raw data, and, what the results should look like.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/508133-attachments.html#post2507729

Or, you can post your workbook/worksheets to the following free site (sensitive data changed), mark the workbook for sharing, and, provide us with a link to your workbook:

https://dropbox.com

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back