Newbie duh question (I guess)

bredda

Encountering routine data entry problem in Excel 2000. The active cell won't accept or recognize any data until I click on the blank formula bar (checkmark symbol) area. From that point I'm fine. Where am I going wrong?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
E.G., I enter some data in a cell ( it matters not whether alphanumeric, text, currency) and upon completion of that I routinely am unable to enter anything into the next cell without using the mouse to click on the formula toolbar in either the blank area to the right of the equal sign or the checkmark itself. I've gone as far as unstalling and reinstalling from a clean install disc and same occurrence. What prompts Excel to make a cell "active" and ready for data? Obviously I can work around this but if there's a solution...Thanks for your time.

Upvote 0
More clarification please -

Do you mean that you can't use the tab / arrow keys / mouse to navigate between cells, or that your cells aren't accepting data entry?

Could you post a complete step-by-step of what happens when you try to enter data into one cell then another...
This message was edited by PaddyD on 2002-09-29 15:40

Upvote 0
hi
try going to tools>options>edit tab and make sure the 'move selection after enter' box is checked.
hth
anno
This message was edited by anno on 2002-09-29 19:19

Upvote 0
Hi anno:

I do not have Move_selection_after_enter checked because I prefer the cursor to remain in the same cell where I can make an entry ... and I don't have the problem that OP is experiencing. It looks like it is something else.

Regards!

Yogi

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back