newbie looking for Excel function help

curran_john46

Hi,

I have been struggling to figure out a function to perform a specific task in excel. Might anyone have any pointers? I was looking at the percentage function but can't quite figure out how to use it for the scenario below. Perhaps there is another more suitable function. Below is what I am trying to do in my excel spreadsheet (very similar to calculating a simple batting average):

The fields D9 though D101 can be set to 'Y' or 'N.' Each 'Y' represents a successful transaction in our business application. Each 'N' represents a failed transaction in our business application. I want to calculate the success rate in percentages and show that success rate in D102.

My hope is to have the 92 fields between D9 and D101 prepopulated with 'Y' and have D102 showing a 100% success rate. And if I change any of the fields between D9 and D101 to 'N' then the success rate percentage in D102 would lower itself accordingly.

So, if D9 - D101 all show 'Y' then D102 = 100%. However, if 46 of the 92 fields between D9 - D101 are set to 'N' then D102 = 50.00%. Or if 45 of the 92 fields between D9 - D101 is set to 'N' then D102 = 48.91%. Or if two of the 92 fields between D9 - D101 is set to 'N' then D102 = 02.17%. You get the point now.

Can this work the way I intend in excel? Is there a function and formula that could help me here?

Thank you so much.

John

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Thank you Oaktree. That was perfect. I formatted the cell for percentages as well and now it works like a champ. Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Same idea, just combine the two ranges...

=(COUNTIF(D50:D75,"Y")+COUNTIF(D100:D150,"Y"))/(COUNTA(D50:D75)+COUNTA(D100:D150))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back