Newbie needs looping help. :)

krice1974

Hey there all, thanks in advance for any help to get me over an early vba hurdle. I'm trying to loop through pasted trade confirmations from my broker. Relevant info:
-rows 1-7 are above my dataset area, command buttons etc.
-column 2 is "Buy/Sell".
-It imports cleanly except for misc notes on dividends etc that I wish to delete to just keep a clean dataset of trade confirmations.

Since I only want trade records and want to eliminate other notes etc that paste over from the copied info, looking for either "is empty" or <> buy or sell seems to be the best way to do it. It doesn't work though... it deletes about half of them. When I run it again, it then deletes the remainder. What am I doing wrong???

Here's my code:

Sub Schwab_Trades_Process()

'Click immediately after copying schwab trade confirmations

ActiveSheet.Paste

Selection.UnMerge
Selection.WrapText = False

Dim rowcnt As Integer
rowcnt = Selection.Rows.Count

Dim loopcnt As Integer
For loopcnt = 8 To rowcnt
If IsEmpty(Cells(loopcnt, 2)) Then
Cells(loopcnt, 2).EntireRow.Delete
End If
Next loopcnt

End Sub

Many thanks in advance...

Kevin

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Replace your loop with:

Range("B1:B" & rowcnt).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).EntireRow.Delete

HTH,

Loren

Upvote 0
Thanks so much, I appreciate the help, but doesn't that delete my rows 1-7? I want to start with 8.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much, I appreciate the help, but doesn't that delete my rows 1-7? I want to start with 8.
Hi, krice1974,
WELCOME to the BOARD!!!!!

replace the 1 within the code by 8
you could have tried something on a copy of your file, not?

kind regards,
Erik

Upvote 0
Kevin

Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Looping is generally a relatively slow process, so the suggestion that avoids looping is worth pursuing. However, in part answer to your question about your code...

If you are deleting rows in a loop you need to work from the bottom up. The reason is demonstrated by example.

You have a counter to keep track of which row you are up to. Suppose you get to row 12 and it needs deleting so the code deletes it and your row counter moves on to 13. However, because of the deletion, what used to be in row 13 is now in row 12 - but your code is now checking row 13. Therefore what is now in row 12 never gets checked.

Also, if you were checking from, say, rows 8 to 20 and row 12 was deleted, when your counter gets to 20, it will be checking (and maybe deleting) a row that was not even in your original range of rows to be checked.

So your original loop should have started:
For loopcnt = rowcnt To 8 Step -1

I don't think this is why your code is deleting the whole range in two passes but is just a general hint about looping and deleting rows.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the help! I got a great solution as well as an explanation of why my original code wasn't working. Great stuff...

Upvote 0
OK, I'm actually not there yet...

The code below just gives me a blank sheet, deletes the upper row formatting, no records remain etc. Here's what I've got:

Sub Schwab_Trades_Process()

'Click immediately after pasting schwab trade confirmations
'while the whole set is still selected.

ActiveSheet.Paste

Selection.UnMerge
Selection.WrapText = False

Dim rowcnt As Integer
rowcnt = Selection.Rows.Count

Range("B8:B" & rowcnt).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).EntireRow.Delete

End Sub

The help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Sorry. It works now, it didn't as copy/pasted originally. It's still leaving one at the end but I'm far better off for now.

Upvote 0
OK, now it doesn't again, I get a "runtime error 1004." All I did between it running and not was put code I was going to try in but after a single quote. I give up for now.

Upvote 0
it is not sure what code you are using now??
and please: it might be useful to tell us a bit more about the actual circumstances on your sheet

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back