Newbie trying to use VBA if/and function to logically compare two values and provide the corresponding cell value in a matrix

TheThinker

Hey all and thanks in advance for helping me with this. I'm currently working with Excel 2007 on WinXP Pro SP3. The file was originally created in Excel 2003, so it's saved as .XLS.

This is kind of difficult to explain, but I have two columns of calculated values (G and I) that I'm trying to compare to values in a matrix on another sheet so that a value within the cell at a particular point in the matrix can be selected. Basically, it's a risk response matrix and the values in G and I are impact and likelihood, respectively. You end up with a formula which, in English, appears like:

If G is less than a certain value on the Y axis of the matrix, and I is less than a certain value on the X axis of the matrix then select the value at the intersecting point.

I've gotten it to the point that it seems to pull some values, but they aren't correct at all.

Here's the code I'm working with:

Code:
Function rValue(pval As String) As String

If pval = " " Then
            rValue = " "

ElseIf pval = 0 Then
            rValue = " "

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E12").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!O7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!N12").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E12").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!M7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!L12").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E12").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!K7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!J12").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E12").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!I7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!H12").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E12").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value > Range("Assumptions!G7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!F12").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E11").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!O7") Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!N11").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E11").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!M7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!L11").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E11").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!K7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!J11").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("assumptions!E11").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!I7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!H11").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E11").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value > Range("Assumptions!G7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!F11").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E10").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!O7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!N10").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E10").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!M7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!L10").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E10").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!K7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!J10").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E10").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!I7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!H10").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E10").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value > Range("Assumptions!G7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!F10").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E9").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!O7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!N9").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E9").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!M7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!L9").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E9").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!K7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!J9").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E9").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!I7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!H9").Value

ElseIf pval < Range("Assumptions!E9").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value > Range("Assumptions!G7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!F9").Value

ElseIf pval > Range("Assumptions!E8").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!O7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!N8").Value

ElseIf pval > Range("Assumptions!E8").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!M7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!L8").Value

ElseIf pval > Range("Assumptions!E8").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!K7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!J8").Value

ElseIf pval > Range("Assumptions!E8").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!I7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!H8").Value

ElseIf pval > Range("Assumptions!E8").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value > Range("Assumptions!G7").Value Then
            rValue = Range("Assumptions!F8").Value

Else: rValue = " "

End If
    End Function
And here's a link to the document:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8...OTZjNjE1NzBlZDMy&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Probably the first thing I would do is go to using Select Case instead of all the If/ElseIfs. (ie.)
Code:
Function rValue(pval As String) As String
  rValue = " "
  Select Case pval
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E12").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!O7").Value
      rValue = Range("Assumptions!N12").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E12").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!M7").Value
      rValue = Range("Assumptions!L12").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E12").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!K7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!J12").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E12").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!I7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!H12").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E12").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value > Range("Assumptions!G7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!F12").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E11").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!O7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!N11").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E11").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!M7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!L11").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E11").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!K7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!J11").Value
    Case Is < Range("assumptions!E11").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!I7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!H11").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E11").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value > Range("Assumptions!G7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!F11").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E10").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!O7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!N10").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E10").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!M7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!L10").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E10").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!K7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!J10").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E10").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!I7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!H10").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E10").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value > Range("Assumptions!G7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!F10").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E9").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!O7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!N9").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E9").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!M7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!L9").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E9").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!K7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!J9").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E9").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!I7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!H9").Value
    Case Is < Range("Assumptions!E9").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value > Range("Assumptions!G7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!F9").Value
    Case Is > Range("Assumptions!E8").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!O7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!N8").Value
    Case Is > Range("Assumptions!E8").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!M7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!L8").Value
    Case Is > Range("Assumptions!E8").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!K7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!J8").Value
    Case Is > Range("Assumptions!E8").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value < Range("Assumptions!I7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!H8").Value
    Case Is > Range("Assumptions!E8").Value And Range("I" & pval + 0).Value > Range("Assumptions!G7").Value
          rValue = Range("Assumptions!F8").Value
    End Select
End Function
(And you'll want to double check to make sure I got them all.)

That said,
I've gotten it to the point that it seems to pull some values, but they aren't correct at all.
How close is your original code getting you? (If it's giving the wrong results, then can you see any pattern to what it's doing?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

I've tried to troubleshoot by numbering each case (from 1 to 25) rather than having it return the text values in the matrix, but I've made some substantial edits since the last time I've done that. Now it seems as though it's only pulling values from the first column on the Y axis, so it's possible that the AND statement isn't working the way I want.

I'll try with Select Case and see where that gets me.

Edit: Just tried the code you provided with the same exact results.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the same exact results
Same results you were getting in the beginning?, or at the end where it only returns values from the first column on the Y axis?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back