Newby question

deke

Hi. Total newby here.

I created a database with some products and barcodes. Each barcode is different from another, so I used it as my primary key. All information about these products are in this table.

When I sell these items, I scan the barcode numbers and make a list (packing slip). All I get from this scan is the barcode number. How can I use this list of barcode numbers to make a packing slip to include the information from the other table. Could someone point me in the right direction, or maybe what search words I should use to find the appropriate thread. Thanx

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Without additonal information:

You could create an "Package Table"... which would hold nothing more than the the barcodes you scan for a particular order. It would have a one-to-one relationship with your products table. Create a query, based on both tables that lists the barcode from the package table and all other information from your products table. Create a report based on this query. Your report would be your packing slip. You would then create a delete query to delete the records in the package table... this would remove the like items from your products table.

One problem with the above is that you have no history. Once you delete a packing slip, those products are gone. If I were doing this, I would capture my invoice# and sales date and then move all invoiced items to another table. This way, I can, over time, identify what I sold and when as well as be able to reprint my packing slip, if ever the need came about.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back