No Join Kind dropdown in Merge dialog

xlWatcher

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Using Exel 2016 and Windows 10
I am trying to merge two sheets with a common column which contains text. The two sheets have different columns of information. There are no duplicates of the common column in either sheet.
When I get the data from file from workbook, for the two sheets, the Merge dialog does NOT have the Join Kind dropdown. It only has a checkbox to “Only include matching rows”. So I am not able to specify that an outer join is needed. I left the box unchecked to get all rows, but I’m only getting the rows common to BOTH sheets. I if there are rows in the second file that aren’t in the first, they are lost, but there is no Join Kind option to specify all rows of each sheet. Also the column labels of one of the files changed to column1, column2 etc. when vied in Power Query, and I don’t know why. However, when I change data in the source file, the new file does refresh.
Is it a requirement when doing this that one sheet be a subset of the other or can each sheet have items that the other doesn’t have.? How can I specify the Join Kind?
Thank you for any help!

I somehow managed to update my Office 2016, and then I tried this task again, in order to share and upload for you.....and there it was. Join Kind and I clicked on the full join which is what was needed! It really wan't there before the update...as you saw in the screenshot!
Thank you for your time and help
I usually use Excel to set up simple workbooks and formulas for small businesses, some graphing a little dashboarding. I'm a little new to data management in Excel, so I'll be back, I'm sure. :)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
For the future, please note that cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Selecting Join Kind

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide a link, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back