Noobie question

Lmo

Help! I am trying to create a spreadsheet and have defined columns. When I start to put my data in, I type in something like 11-3210 for a department number, and what appears in the column is a date...Nov-10. For some reason it is assuming that I mean for the info to be a date, when in fact, I dont.

Another example is when I put a serial number in another column- I put in 100557349340. What appears in the colum is: 1.00557E+11.
I am assuming this is some kind of formatting thing that is substituting the numbers that I put in for all of this other stuff. Is there a setting that needs to be changed? Thanks for your help!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Try selecting the cells that you are going to be entering data in and Format > Cells and set as Text.

Upvote 0
Thank you ever so kindly! Actually, formatting as 'special' was the resolution, but you had me in the right place!
Thank you again! :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Noobie Question

Or, just put an apostrophe in front of the numbers - it will not show in the contents of the cell i.e. '11-3210 will show as 11-3210 on the excel spreadsheet - no special formatting of cell necessary

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back