Normalizing a data set to a common time duration

rdivy

Hello. First-time posting so please forgive any breaches of etiquette.

I have been using excel for over 20 years and rarely come across something that stumps me, but I have a real quandry on my hands and am very much in need of your collective wisdom.

I am analyzing the distribution of costs expended by month over the duration of various construction projects. The duration of each project varies based on the size and complexity of the job. My objective is to establish a standard cost distribution curve for a project of x duration based upon the historical distribution of costs relative to duration.

In order to accomplish this, I need to re-cast each project's distribution - increasing or decreasing the percentage of costs expended in each month to fit the desired time period (e.g. to convert the distribution for an 11 month project into a proportionately equivalent distribution over 9 months). Then I can calculate a normalized 9 month curve by averaging all projects, since all differences in duration have been normalized.

Below is a link to a graphic that illustrates what I am trying to accomplish. Any help is greatly appreciated!

https://app.box.com/s/zwl4lbt6lf20o3xp7nrb4x4m5lgbye84

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back