Not allowing others to see sheet when someone else is using on shared workbook

ellak123

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi There,

I have a workbook that includes a separate sheet for each employee where they can record their working from home hours. When the workbook opens they get a login page so they can login in and only view/edit their page.

The workbook is shared from my sharepoint in a Teams group with everyone and it needs to be opened in the desktop app to work.

My problem is that if someone else is using the workbook at the same time I open it, I can see their page and info. Is there a way to change this so that you can't see what someone else is editting?

Maybe this is more of a Teams question...

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
In my limited experience with Excel, Access and SP I discovered a sp workbook has a checkin/checkout property (that's not it's real name). If in sp it's set up so that it has to be checked out to use, you can prevent anyone from opening it. However, if code fails after checkout it's inaccessible to anyone, so you need an error handler that ensures it will be checked in - unless that error causes a crash.

Upvote 0
In my limited experience with Excel, Access and SP I discovered a sp workbook has a checkin/checkout property (that's not it's real name). If in sp it's set up so that it has to be checked out to use, you can prevent anyone from opening it. However, if code fails after checkout it's inaccessible to anyone, so you need an error handler that ensures it will be checked in - unless that error causes a crash.
Hi Micron, does this mean it would be locked to everyone while one person is editing it and can only be opened once they have left?

Upvote 0
I'm not too familiar with sp (share point) but my understanding is that if checked out, a workbook cannot be opened by anyone else. IF it can be, then I'm pretty sure it is locked. Don't know what you mean by "once they have left" but AFAIK, it is not enough that they close a checked out wb - they have to check it back in. Think of it as a library book for which there is only one copy. I have no idea if this is a feature that the sp admin has to implement or if it's the default. You'd have to Google this stuff because as mentioned, I have little knowledge of sp itself.
HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back