not enough resources

RichardLW

I recently added a new product line to my business, and put their excel sheet with 6500 products, their product descriptions, prices, cubes and weights to on my hard drive, where I added columns to calculate discounts, freight, taxes, etc.
Then created a purchase order workbook that has a products sheet that automatically links to about 6 columns of that sheet and an order sheet that looks up (vlookup) the correct description, price, cube, etc. on its product sheet for those products entered, multiplies them and tells me the cube and value I'm ordering.
But I'm getting "not enough resources to open links" or to "save external links". If I open the PO without letting it update, then open the base sheet, it links and runs fine until it tries to automatically save, then says it cannot save the links. Sometimes it will run if I shut down outlook, firefox, and other excel sheets (everything). Then to save the PO I have to first close the base without saving changes, finally save the PO with changes.

I have spent a lot of time trying to reduce it, saving a base with all calculations reduced to values, but no change. I need half of the information on the base sheet available to the PO to select from.

Neither sheet is more than 5MB. Running Windows XP, Excel 2003 on a Toshiba Tecra 2.0 Dual Core and 1GB of ram.

Two questions:
1. Any immediate suggestions as to what I can do here?
2. I'm planning on replacing the computer (notebook) in September. Probably get a Dual core 2.4 processor - any benefit in looking for more?, and are problems like this solved by 2 BG of Ram? 3GB? 4 GB?

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back