NOT SURE EXCEL OR ACCESS ???

yarnoss

Board Regular
:biggrin: :biggrin: :LOL: I am trying to create a catalogue with part numbers, and quanties, wholes sale prices ,description,Profit,etc what will be easier to use database or excel? i want to monitor quanties and sales of dates for warranties :wink:
Or can i use both ? How is this achieved were i join the access database into excel
thank you :pray: :pray:

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
I think it would depend simply on the number of records in your database.

I have found Access to be invaluable in number crunching 10's of thousands of records to return key data which I then export to excel if I need to generate graph's etc.

If you data numbers in the 100's (<200) of lines then it is just as easy to mantain in excel.

regards

Upvote 0
As Tony said, one of the biggest determining factors will be the number of records that you have. In addition will be the type of calculations you want to perform on your data.

Access is hugely powerful and works great in conjunction with Excel. I.E. I work with up to 1 million records in several Access databases containing weekly sales information from our AS400 orders database. Access allows me to take that base level sales information and compile it up to Sales Rep, Sales Manager, Region, Market levels, etc. From there I can work with it in Excel and perform complex calculations.

You can perform complex calculations in Access, but it is often nowhere near as easy as in Excel. Excel is a much more robust analysis tool, while Access is a great relational database.

To pull Access information into Excel goto Data-->Get External Data-->New Database Query. Select Access from the list and follow the wizard.

To get Excel information into Access, goto File-->Get External Data and follow the wizard. Note that Access can be very picky with field types (Number, Text, etc.), so you have to be careful with whether you choose to Link Tables or Import them. A linked table in Access will reflect changes made in Excel, while an Imported Table is static and has to be re-imported if changes are made to the original Excel table.

Hope that helps, but post back with more specifics.

Smitty

Upvote 0
thank you for the information fellas!!! this is a starting point i only have 150 items.

cheers
:biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back