Not sure whats up with this

crosseyedanddrueling

Board Regular
I have a reporting program I used to export data to excel. Its being exported from the ASCII format to an excel doc.

When I open up the sheet the report is not very usable because the entire exported document is being dumped into column A so every row from the exported report is acutally dumped into column A....

To make the report usable I wrote code to perform a text in to columns operation and delete unwanted data.....this has worked fine until recently when somthing changed....

We have multiple users using the same process...mine works just fine, however the code no longer works properly for my other users when previously they had worked just fine...here is where the mystery lies....

When I open the exported file it displays with all of the data in column A as described above...when my employees open the same sheet it is now displaying for them with data broken up into columns...this is causing the text in to columns operation in my macro to move information into the wrong columns and is wacking out the whole sheet.

Everything was working just fine until about a week ago when Im assuming that an excel setting got changed some how on the other users machines....does anyone out there have any idea what could have got changed in the other user's set up that is causing this...

it doesn't make sense that they could be using the exact same exported file, and the same marco but are getting different results....any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
What is the format of the ASCII file?

Upvote 0
Rus

I think you've hit the nail on the head - the other people's settings have been changed at some point.

It could be something as simple as they've done a Data>Text to columns... on another worksheet then tried your code.

Excel 'remember's the settings for text to columns.

Upvote 0
Norie...is there any way to reset the text to colmun function so it doesnt remember it?

Iliace...not sure what the ASCII format is.....

Upvote 0
Rus

I don't think there is a straightforward way to do so.

Mind you after thinking about it a bit more that might not be the problem.

If you've coded your text to columns correctly then I would have thought your options would override the existing ones.

Hard to say though without code/data.:)

Upvote 0
Norie...I think you right...the problem is that when I open the raw exported sheet prior to running the code on it, its showing as two different fromats...for me everthing is in column A for others its showing in mulitple columns....it's that exact same file that was exported and stored on a shared drive prior to running the code...doesnt make sense that it displays in a differnt format more me that it does for others when opened in the same version on excel....Im stumped

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back