NOT switching focus between two instances of excel

Meg_excelQs

Goal:
- open an instance of excel from a different program and send/retrieve data to a workbook from this open session of excel without the user being able to see excel/know it's running
- allow user to work in another instance of excel while the other program is accessing 1st instance of excel without changing user focus back and forth between two instances of excel

I am an engineer providing engineering support for a software development project and am being told by IT this is not achievable. Solution needs to run across different excel versions. Also being told MS Surface excel is actually not fully compatible, behaves differently. So remember, I am not an IT expert - so appreciate any help!

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
I'm not sure I follow, if you have 2 separate instances of Excel that aren't interacting with each other how can focus shift between them unless done manually or with code.

Upvote 0
correct - the concern is the program is churning along using an excel tool (preferably hidden from user) and if the user manually clicks on an open 2nd instance of excel to do different work - focus switches to 2nd instance and messes up program calling first instance of excel. did that help or add confusion?

Upvote 0
Couldn't the instance you don't want the user to interfere with be hidden?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca142

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back