Note - Fill Format to show a picture

JamesWesterfield

Hello Guru(s),

In previous version of Excel, you could edit the format of a note to show a picture by changing some settings in the format/fill tab. This latest Jan 31st 2019 release seems to have removed this nice little feature. Any idea how to do this now?

Basically any way for a picture to pop up if you click or hover over a cell is what I am looking to do again.

Thank you,

James

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.

Yongle

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Right click on Ribbon \ Customise Quick Access Toolbar \choose commands from "All Commands" \ scroll down to Notes \ Add \ OK
Click on the icon to add a commet to active cell

The old "comment" has been renamed "note"
"comment" is now text only (I think)

Last edited:

JamesWesterfield

Yongle, thanks for the reply.

However whether it is a "note" or "comment" in the cell, there seems to be the same lose of functionality to put a picture. You can only format text, or at least that is all I have been able to muster.

Regards,

James

Yongle

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
To place a picture inside "commnt"( aka "note"), do this..

select a cell \ Click on icon \ right-click on shape \ select Format Comment \ Color \ Fill Effects \ Picture \Select Picture \ From file \ etc

It still works for me with Office 365

Last edited:

JamesWesterfield

ADVERTISEMENT

To place a picture inside "commnt"( aka "note"), do this..

select a cell \ Click on icon \ right-click on shape \ select Format Comment \ Color \ Fill Effects \ Picture \Select Picture \ From file \ etc

It still works for me with Office 365

The method you describe is exactly how I have done it in the past. However, now when I right click to Format Comment, it only has FONT formatting available. Perhaps I need to re-enable more functionality?

Cheers,

James

Yongle

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Make sure you select the shape correctly - there are 2 ways to select it!

Right click on INSIDE of shape and it does what you described, right-click on OUTSIDE edge of shape and it does what you want

JamesWesterfield

Oh man,, glad it was that simple. Thanks ALL. It was a PEBKAC error... Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

Thank you,

James

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfernandezcean