Novice Excel Macro Question

carl swanstrom

I have tons of data downloaded from a new process. Column B contains the time with the seconds in decimal format (eg. 00:12:08.310
). Excel will not allow me to reformat the cells and my boss wants graphs with time he can understand. I accidently found that if I hit "edit" (F2) and then enter, the value is now in a format that Excel will let me reformat. GREAT! However, I can not figure out how to write a macro that does this for 1440 rows. Making sure the I am using relative references, I try recording a macro by hitting F2 then enter five times. I run the macro and it does aexactly what I need for five rows. However, if I try to run it again for the next five rows, it puts the values for the first five rows in, Please help. I am sure this is very simple, but I am very new to writing successful macros.

Thanks for any help.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
This should work, but make sure you back up your data first.

In a spare cell type 0 (zero) and press Enter. With that cell still selected choose Edit, Copy from the menu. Select all the cells containing times and choose Edit, Paste Special from the menu. Under Operation check Add and click OK.

Upvote 0
Andrew,
Thank you so much for the elegant but simple solution. It works like a charm and I even recorded a macro that does the addition and reformats the cells for the time format I need. Wish I knew why it works, but I will be happy just having a solution. Wish I had found this site before. It seems like the percentage of Excel users that ever write macros is small. I am really excited about having a place to go for help.
Again, thanks to Andrew and Mr Excel for a very valuable WEB site.

Carl

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back