Novice needs help with excel 2007 workbook

RichardFrench

I am a volunteer firefighter attempting to create a spreadsheet workbook to be used every Saturday night by our bingo cashier. I modeled the workbook after the original paperwork because I thought it would be easier for the users to input the data needed.
The usual course of action is to open the workbook and per my instructions immediately save it as a new workbook with the current evenings date and title. However, there are 4 to 8 different people using this workbook. Because we run a different bingo crew every weekend. My problem is that sometimes they forget to save the workbook as a new document, thereby overwriting the original.

I have managed to introduce a pop-up window requiring them to click okay before they continue. The window pops up when this workbook is opened. But I would like to find a way to automatically save this document Upon being opened as a new document. Or a way to use a pop up a dialog box that would do it when the user clicks yes.

I would appreciate and consider all responses.

Just a side note: I have over 100 hours into creating this workbook. Prior to doing this I had never done anything more complicated than a check ledger in Excel. And now I find myself looking constantly for ways to improve it.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Try going to the where the file is stored through windows explorer. Right click on the file name and go to properties. Under Attributes, toggle on the Read-only option and click apply. This will allow the file to be opened and manipulated but it won't save unless the user specifies a new name. If you want to make changes to the base file, you can go back into the properties of the file and toggle off the Read-only option until you make your change and then toggle it back on. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Try going to the where the file is stored through windows explorer. Right click on the file name and go to properties. Under Attributes, toggle on the Read-only option and click apply. This will allow the file to be opened and manipulated but it won't save unless the user specifies a new name. If you want to make changes to the base file, you can go back into the properties of the file and toggle off the Read-only option until you make your change and then toggle it back on. Good luck.

Thanks Bill. That worked out great.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back