novice question about list compression

Robert Minneapolis

Okay, I've got what I think is a relatively straightforward question about compressing a list in Excel. At work, I inherited a list in spreadsheet form that someone else was working on and I'd like to make it easier to manage. Picture this, if you can: Column A is a list of names. Columns B through E are each potential things that person could've done on a particular day. Let's say that columns B through E are "Apples", "Oranges", "Bananas", and "Pears", to use common Excel Help nomenclature. So if the name in column A is "Paul McCartney", and there is an X in column B, that means that Paul McCartney ate an apple that day. Clear enough?

Okay, so here's my dilemma: the list is thousands of names long, and the same names appear many times throughout the list. Sometimes the names might have an X in the same column (Paul may have eaten an apple on several different occasions), sometimes they might have an X in a different column (Paul may have eaten an apple one day and a pear the next). I'd like to compress this list so that each name appears only once. For instance, if Paul has ever eaten an apple and ever eaten a pear, the list should have his name with an X in column B and an X in column E. I'm not concerned with how many times he may have eaten an apple nor the specific dates that he did it, only that he did it at least once. I've tried writing a macro to jump through all sorts of COUNTIF permutations, but there must be an easier way to do this. I also have to add names to this list every day, and I'd like to figure out something that can tell me if the name I'm entering already appears in the list somewhere, and if so, if that person has already performed the action that I'm entering (to avoid consistenly creating duplicates).

What would you do in this situation? Has this question been answered here before? I wasn't really sure what search terms I could use to find something similar.

thanks in advance,
Robert

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Robert

I think I would use Data>Pivot table...:)

Upvote 0
lenze

Actually when I reread the OP's post I'm not 100% sure a pivot table would satisfy their needs.:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maplemeadows

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back