Novice user - need formula advice ... Please.

geordie-exile

Hi all,

I'm a novice user of excel so please assume no knowledge whatsoever, I'll never be offended.

I'm trying to create a spreadsheet that highlights some key dates for appraisal reports for my staff at work. What I'm trying to do is have a due date in column M duplicate a date entered in column N, unless a date is entered in column P which is earlier than that in column N.

A date in column K must then be changed automatically to 180 days before the date in column M. I want column K to fill amber when this 180 day point is reached and turn red when 90 days is reached. I think I've worked this out with conditional formatting but I'm struggling to find information on building the formulae required for the update of dates. (My preferred format is DD/MM/YYYY or YY)

Is it possible to do this as a beginner? I'm sure the solution is probably quite simple but I have no idea how to start ...

Thanks for reading and apologies for my first post asking such a luddite question!

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Just wondering, am I wasting my time trying to do this? I've been mucking about with it for ages but it would appear I'm better at fixing aircraft than getting computers to work ...

Upvote 0
Thanks so much, that worked perfectly. It also gave me some understanding that I applied to other columns and the whole thing works great. Looks like I can learn loads here; I'm sure to be back.

Thaks again (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back