Now() Function not saving date correctly

arooney88

Board Regular
Hey everyone! Thanks for any input on this issue I'm having.

I have a workbook that has assignments that get done throughout the month. I need the date to autopopulate based on criteria so I am using the IF() and NOW() functions. The date populates fine, except if I save and close and then come back to it the next day, the date that should be yesterday's date would now show todays date instead. I need it to keep the initial date because I need to do a daily tracker.

Below is the formula I'm using. Once I enter an answer into A2, it should check if A1 has info, then in B1 the date that I entered the answer should populte. This works, but it just won't save the date day to day. It will refresh to current day when you reopen the file. (A2 and B2 should be a merged cell so there won't be anything in that field)

A
B
PROCID123
=IF(A2<>"", IF(A1<>0, NOW(), ""), "")
Yes

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
I do have to enable macros when I reopen the worksheet. Would this be affecting the date?

The formula you are using automatically enters the current date if cell A1 contains data, so the only way to keep the same date is to eliminate the formula and just type in the date you want to show for that cell.

Upvote 0
This workbook is really a QA sheet. Cell A1 has a formula that pulls from an assignment sheet, where that cell only gets filled when data is input on the assignment sheet. There are 340 assignments each month and once they get assigned, the Proc ID info fills for all 340 across at the same time. (So using the above example, A1, C1, E1, G1, etc would get filled)

I don't want todays date to populate when all 340 get assigned at once, I only want to record the date when I'm actually working on that assignment. So that's why I have the NOW() function checking if the Proc ID cells are filled AND I have started my responses in A2, A3, A4, etc.

Upvote 0
The formula you are using automatically enters the current date if cell A1 contains data, so the only way to keep the same date is to eliminate the formula and just type in the date you want to show for that cell.

It should only populate the date if I have info in cell A1 and A2. I don't want it to populate if there is only info in A1.

Upvote 0
How about:
Code:
=If(AND(A1<>"", A2<>""), NOW(), "")

Upvote 0
This is similiar what I got to work.

I tried =IF(A1<>"", A2<>""), IF(A1="", "", IF(B1="", NOW(), B1)), "")

This seems to be working. Unfortuntely I'm on a work computer so I can't change my time/date to test it out until the morning.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back